1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Organization What makes a perfect 5-star level?

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by cpw, Sep 6, 2016.

What makes a perfect 5-star level?

1. Optimal difficulty for everyone -- not too easy or too frustratingly hard

65.2%
  2. Extremely challenging -- only a handful of us could solve it without hints

8.7%
  3. Consistently solvable -- not relying on precision/reaction, or bugs/tricks that may not always work

56.5%
  4. Original tricks -- levels that surprise you with newly discovered tricks

39.1%
  5. Beautiful architecture -- nice little details that may occasionally also serve as hints

73.9%
  6. Compact design -- Clever use of limited space

52.2%
  7. No artificial difficulty -- e.g. annoying hidden elements, or modular mazes that require 50+ moves

34.8%
  8. Rule-abiding -- not overly exploiting "tricks"

17.4%
  9. Nice story -- a plot that makes the level more immersive

47.8%
  10. Others (comment)

17.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    We've had a poll about 1-star ratings but it looks like we don't have one for the opposite yet. :D Please comment if you have something to add, as I cannot add more options anymore.

2. TR O

TR O Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    And Funny levels. Those maybe even just have few things in it but make you laugh so hard. :D

meko, Astral_Mage and cpw like this.
  3. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    This poll is not as easy as the last one. Unlike where one bad element like "the level is not solvable" should warrant a 1 star, there is not likely one sole element that (in my opinion) should lead to 5 stars. Rather, each element should add a star such that a whole compliment of good design inclusions - and avoidance of poor ones - would allow a level to be worthy of 5 stars.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Astral_Mage and cpw like this.
  4. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I think a level is beyond objectivity . Each level has a different history, a different way to be played , the emotions ( and the surprises ) that gives you and other ...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    nGord and cpw like this.
  5. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    I wholeheartedly agree. A large part of someone's rating will undoubtedly be based on subjective elements around gameplay and beauty and - most importantly as Meko mentions - emotion.

I personally do try to include as many objective factors first in my assessments as well. The one that I try to focus on the most is the intentions of the designer. If he/she was aiming for a level that is incredibly challenging, easy, funny, hidden, unique, tutorial, etc., then the rating should reflect that aim. I resent when someone critiques a level based more on whether it met their particular preferred style of game.

For example, if the designer achieved what I think they set out to accomplish, then I will score it at least 3 stars. Sometimes, if they met their aim in a particularly exemplary fashion, then I will award 5 stars. Perhaps it would be easier to explain with some examples:

Bunker, @AndroidHackPro - for being all about timing (and encouraging the effort of a new designer);
    Sweeper, @Astral_Mage - for just a plain fun experimental level with great art and function;
    Hot Foot, @B Hill - for introduction of a new exploit in a manageable level;
    Back and Forth, @cpw - for incorporation of something sly;
    King of Kong, @D Wolf - for intricate path completion in a great story/theme/tribute;
    Minimaze, @Even Wells - for a very compact yet worthy maze;
    Bumble B Bot, @Gepeto - for sheer difficulty of construction while still maintaining great art and story;
    Electric Chair, @Jomer - for demonstrating one particular exploit to the extreme;
    Align, @KPACABA - on how to make a bot-less design with a good balance of play;
    no rush.3, @kris - for traditional puzzle play incorporating great aesthetics;
    Playground Pain, @Lary - for an obvious fun game for kids (and encouraging the effort of a new designer);
    Undrgrnd Tetris, @LooKing? - for dedication to a theme while still finding a way to not make it too predictable;
    Just in time, @Mark69 - for unique gameplay: a real race that makes for good humour;
    Begin Again, @meko - for hiding a draggable very well;
    Are you fast?, @Muslim Arizzy - for a level requiring incredible speed;
    Special Forces 1, @S. Nagy - for incorporating the most exploits in the allowable space while maintaining great art and story;
    The Piano, @Nekorama - for sheer art demonstrating creativity and attention to detail in a playable level;
    Witch's House, @retrograde - for intricate exploration and discovery in such a tiny space;
    Another Way 3, @Ricko - for testing the resolve of players to find the sole successful path of many potentials to the win;
    The Prisoner, @Sabik - for ingenious multi-use of game elements;
    Etch A Sketch, @sawdust - for reproducing a toy with not only great similarity in art but in feel;
    Devil's Hall, @Scare Crow - for openly and cleverly sharing research made into a bug turned exploit;
    Gas Mask Killers, @TR O - for humour and surprise;
    Collide, @vince - for a definite thinker's puzzle;
    Fly Away Tutor, @Yogienugr - for a tutorial that also demonstrates how a level based on a rare exploit can be achieved;
    Moving Maze, @Youssef321 - for a level with a simple and explicit objective, yet with significant gameplay;
    Don't Die, @XYZa - for just being too darn cute (with enough distractions to make it worth it);
    Bowling, @zolv - for reproduction of a sport that strikes a nice balance between variability and tolerance;

Conspicuously absent from this list is any level from @richardfu / @richardfu_ as pretty much all of his levels are incredibly encompassing of all the virtues presented in the poll and more. They are all accessible and enjoyable by everyone (particularly if played in order), have a great aesthetic, ambiance, and story, and are just plain fun. Furthermore, they are all polished and absent of any flaws that could detract from having a consistent and rewarding experience.

P.S. I was not trying to make a holistic list of everyone's best levels. In fact these may not in fact even be the best levels from each designer. Rather I was trying to find one from each that exemplified a unique approach to level design that captured it very well. If you were left out, please do not consider it a slight, rather I may have either not seen your level(s) or they didn't fit into this list with its particular aim.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    D Wolf, Astral_Mage, vince and 2 others like this.
  6. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
  7. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thanks for pointing me to the puzzle @meko ! And great example of where people can differ in opinions, yet ratings should be a compliment to the designer and not all about ourselves. I, for one, found the @Even Wells 's puzzle very simple and thus I did not get the same emotional satisfaction as you. Yet, I also rated the level a full 5 stars, but for its originality within Mekorama, reproduction quality, and playability.

For me, my favourite games are epic odysseys or those that stump me (like Remove the Ring did for you). For these I wish we had a completely different rating system as they are worth way beyond 5 stars. Here are just a few examples:

- Timing Problem, by you @meko
    - Petroleum, @Gepeto
    - The Space Ship, @Mark69
    - Manor Secret, @retrograde
    - The Cliff Side, @Sabik
    - Have a ball, @vince
    and of course the Sneak In and Expedition series of games by @richardfu_ .

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    vince likes this.
  8. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I agree with @nGord on everything, couldn't say it better.

nGord likes this.
  9. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Other factor which I forgot about is the replay-ability factor, making the player replay the level more than once despite finishing the level, an example of this is @meko's "Opening Doors" with his imposed challenge, and @TR O's "No way to win" & "Catch the spy".

These should affect the final rating as well :3

meko and cpw like this.
  10. B Hill

B Hill Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Agreed, having multiple ways to complete a level is fun, especially finding ways the creator did not intend :D. Or one that reveals a secret like @Mark69's Behind the scene.

Astral_Mage likes this.