1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Organization Vote for method of sorting levels

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by Sunny Sunset, Jun 30, 2016.

How should the levels on this site be sorted for future access?

Poll closed Jul 5, 2016.
  1. By difficulty categories, with tags for style of play, mechanics, and size

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. By size categories, with tags for difficulty, style of play, and mechanics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. By style of play categories and subcategories, with tags for difficulty, size, and mechanics

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  4. By style of play categories, with tags for subcategories, difficulty, size, and mechanics

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. By tags only for everything, no categories of any kind (except as tags)

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. I like things the way they are, why change?

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. I have a better idea! I will post It below

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. FabianS

FabianS Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I see. Your definition of puzzle is far wider than mine then. I'm about to finish a level (just need to figure out how to remove a possible shortcut) which would probably the first one I've done which I'd call a puzzle myself.

Puzzle to me only means figuring out which path to walk, not when skill is needed to actually walk the path - maybe two puzzle categories then; "Simple puzzle" and "Puzzle with skilled walk".

2. Sunny Sunset

Sunny Sunset Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:

The definition is only "wider" when a level doesn't fit any other option. If you look at my original list, there are some very specific subcategories that are within major category levels. If something doesn't fit any of those other categories, chances are high it's going to be in the puzzle category Instead... which also has some specific subcategories as well.

In fact, in my original list, other categories are listed before you get to the puzzle one...to force you to look at the other options first, before "copping out" and sticking it puzzle or other. :)

3. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here is an interesting level that may "puzzle" you... Because it doesn't fit puzzle, exactly. It has some more specific elements that can be catalog instead

http://mekoramaforum.com/media/moving-labirint.2109/
    This is modular, sub category: shifter, tags: labyrinth, path, bbotonly.

4. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    @FabianS how are you defining "code"?
    I don't yet have a definition for that, but I have been thinking it should fit more in line with hidden trial and error levels where you need to move levers or walls into a specific pattern or code, in order for the hidden path to be revealed. Often has been associated with knowing the binary code for something, which is yet another refinement tag.

Your "code" tag does not appear to fit what's in my head for the code/decode tag. Enlighten me as to your thinking, so this one can be worked out better?

What I currently have is this definition for a tag… But code levels could easilybe a subcategory of the puzzle group
    "Trial and error Hidden: Hidden mechanisms that must be set in a specific position before a hidden path can be navigated. Either or both, bot and goal are hidden from view as well."

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  5. FabianS

FabianS Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Have you played the whole level? Or just looked at it? I'd say there's definitely a code in there. Check spoiler for details.

There are four codes like in your example in the level, all shown with red bricks.

1) The top one shows you to pay attention to the "wagons" with their noses in the other direction than most (I.e. the two ones closest to the mid-wall).
    2) The red bricks on the walking path along with their height shows you how to place the wagons in step 1-2-3 of walking through the tunnel on the top.
    3) The bricks on the bottom facing you as the level starts show you which openings to click on in the tunnel walk to move forward.
    4) The arrow-ish things on the other side tells you to push the key wagons to the sides to open the mid-tunnel.

The holes in the wall are just there to confuse you and have nothing to do with anything

6. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    No, I haven't played it yet, it's a large level and I don't have time right now.
    But from your description I now know that you do understand what constitutes a code level. I was at first thinking that you may have been referring to the sliding section in front, that creates a path eventually, but that doesn't fit the code idea...that's more just sliding around. ( and no, that doesn't fit modular or slider, those are reserved for large sections, not individual pieces. Unless you have an idea for defining little sliding pieces like that...or even if it's necessary?)

Thanks...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  7. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    @FabianS I just made an attempt to play it, I get stuck in the middle stairs, I suspect Draggables are involved to help get me off of it, but they don't move any higher than the floor level, so there's no way to get off that section for me. I do not see how the code works. It's not obvious from playing the game that there even is a code. All I see are things I can't move that look like they probably should, but there's no visible draggable block for me to move them with. This is a problem with my iPad.

So there is no way that I would be able to catalog a "code" level unless the creator mentions that one exists.

This is something I cannot personally recognize, in a level such as yours, if it is subtle. Those that have levers, or holes, or sliding walls, are obvious. This one with colored blocks that look like design elements, don't look like code clues.

8. FabianS

FabianS Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    And here I was wondering if I made the code too easy after adding the Wizard of Oz-reference in the name & description of the level (knowing which way Dorothy took although colours might be wrong refers to the yellow brick road).

Top get through the mid-tunnel (which is the tricky part), you need to use the two wagons moving along the wall in "the parking lot". In all cases their rounded parts should be placed under the corresponding red brick.

Lowest red brick helps you move past the first stop. Only one wagon needed. Go past it by poking B's head out through the left hole on the side facing you when you open the game (also marked by a red brick on the foundation of the level).

For the second passage there are two bricks, so you need both wagons. Same logic behind placement as earlier. And where to pop out your head in shown on foundation again, but not on the same side add you pop out your head.

Third passage. One wagon again. You can click straight on the finish marker.

9. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    I have a friend named Dorothy, so I never caught the Wizard of Oz reference. She thought it was interesting that a puzzle was named after her but she didn't catch Wizard of Oz reference either… She doesn't play games on her non-smartphone.

I don't catch the reference to "wagons". They're in the water… Wagons are not water vehicles, maybe they're boats? I also don't understand how to read the code to place them, or nor do I understand the explanations in either spoiler about "passages", since I'm currently on the other side heading for the stairs. (I don't play code levels, I used your description for cataloging purposes not playing purposes )

The only thing I know is I'm stuck on stairs, zappers behind me) not tunnels or passages, and can't move a draggable to get me off of it, so I lost interest in playing it...but not in cataloging it. ;)

So, let's keep this thread to cataloging… Not spoilers. :)

10. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    VOTING ENDS IN 4 HOURS!!