1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

General Discussion The favourite part of a level

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by meko, Oct 29, 2016.

1. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    This is a subjective question.
    What's your favourite part of a level and why? ( the puzzle,aesthetic design,the number of tricks,the absence of exploits,the purpose of the level,the mechanics,the story,hidden things(I think nobody loves these:rolleyes:), twists,sneaky paths etc...)

2. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    There's too much to be discussed with this question! :eek: But if I were to pick one I'd say it's the novelty factor. Not just new mechanisms / exploits / tricks but more generally, new ways to implement existing ones by combining two or more together to achieve a more interesting flow (rather than simply piecing several tricks together).

One thing I enjoy a lot is to play with new combinations of tricks, which I've seen more recently in @retrograde 's Isle of Guile where the inverse spiral falling technique is combined with autopilot pushing. As for my own levels I enjoyed playing with different ways to maneuver the R-stopper technique (e.g. The Twins, The Twins II), and with variants of Push-glide by combining it with a Pendulum block (which resulted in Push-balance), as well as combining the multiple B-bot exploit with R-stopper to create the Imposters concept.

Lately I was also trying to combine R-stopper with zapper bot heads to create a walkable path (I'm actually finding this exploit really versatile in terms of the number of possible ways you can apply / manipulate it :rolleyes: ), which I expected it to become unsafe once the bots stop rotating, but failed as I instead discovered that the zapper bots also malfunction when they're static. :oops:

As for hidden objects I agree that most people don't really like them unless they're hidden for a purpose, e.g. to create suspense, or to be deceptive. The art of deception is however kinda difficult to master, as you'll have to trick the player into believing something, only to find out it isn't as expected at all. :D

meko likes this.
  3. chemi

chemi Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I really appreciate as a player the puzzle and the story. On top of that, if the design is nice the level could be perfect.

I don't like the abuse of exploits... without previous warning.

I would like to make use of this post to thanks all creators of levels. Thanks! ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Astral_Mage, cpw and Wang Hung like this.
  4. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I like when a level has an unespected way to solve it, it's like a little twist when you discover that you have to find another path.

And I like intricate mechanisms in a level,but it's really difficult to build a level with so many mechanisms; for example,my level mountain hike was the hardest to build and it toke me really a lot of time.

But the thing that I love of a level more of all is: aesthetic design.Martin has done really a beatiful work, grass,water,stone,bricks and brown block combined give a pleasant visual sensation (the bricks a little less for me,this is why I don't usually use them).
    And I think Martin wanted to create more of simple levels,but real artworks.

And from the design of a level someone almost always understands the overall quality of a level.

cpw likes this.
  5. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @meko Agreed that the bricks don't usually look good (unless in Towers / Fortresses). Grass and water create the most aesthetically pleasing levels :D

6. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    My favorite part of a level is that part that makes me smile :)

sawdust and nGord like this.
  7. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    And it seems strange, but I use more time to build the design than the puzzle of a level

Astral_Mage likes this.
  8. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Wow, strange indeed. But your levels do look great. I notice that you usually put inverted stairs with water at the bottom, or jumbled fences.

@cpw I agree. Bricks don't really look good alone, but when used to fill in a metal frame, like in KPACABA's ALIGN and richardfu's Remote Control, they look great. It really takes out the cold feel of the metal.

Astral_Mage and cpw like this.
  9. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    As well as many of @Ricko 's levels ;)

Astral_Mage and Frenzies like this.
  10. TR O

TR O Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Besides aesthetics, my favourite part is interesting mechanisms. Always exciting to see them. Some inner-workings (or visible) makes the level extra fun. Makes players curious about what will be triggered, what is going to happen next etc. Or maybe sometimes it makes something seems impossible to happen in the level to be possible.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  11. EL797

EL797 Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    My favourite part of a level is the ending. Maybe there’s surprise!;)

12. Anomynous

Anomynous Urdu/Hindi Language Helper

Levels:
    Albums:
    My fvrt part of the level is...... DESIGN + GOOD/STABLE GAMEPLAY :)