1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Let's Discuss Spelunk innards

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by NigelJGW, Feb 6, 2021.

1. NigelJGW

NigelJGW Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thanks to everyone who's been giving feedback on my level, Spelunk - https://mekoramaforum.com/media/spelunk.22008/. This thread will allow people to see the inner mechanism, because I'm getting the impression that it would be better if the player could see what B is doing... however, I'm not sure how to hide "the trick" if you can see it. Maybe rework everything and only the connections from "area 1" to "area 2" are visible? Would love suggestions...

2. NigelJGW

NigelJGW Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here is the level, undressed.

Attached Files:

3. Divya

Divya Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Great level........ We cant see anything inside

4. I_am_Bot

I_am_Bot Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It is interesting to see B go around. But I agree this card is too easy. I feel the difficulty can be maintained even by allowing bigger windows for the player to peek inside, if it is enclosed. I got stumped at the water, and I see that that's the crucial point in the level. Good work.

5. NigelJGW

NigelJGW Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I discovered MekoStudio.com, which made the editing process a LOT easier. Here is a version with more holes, and I still tried to cover up a few secrets on the bottom level. (I haven't tried to make it "pretty" yet, just trying to get a feel if this provides enough visibility to keep your interest?) I had avoided this approach originally because I was afraid that people would spend all their time poking around on the inside and thinking they had a lot more complexity in their choices for where they needed to go. One hole even makes the under-the-bridge spot unnecessary, which I'm not sure I like, but I'm willing to be swayed, I'd love more discussion on this one. Do I just need to make the under-the-bridge spot more accessible, maybe using rails instead of the fence so it's easier to see under there?

Thanks again, @I_am_Bot, @delator77 and @Jom for all the feedback!

Attached Files:

delator77 likes this.
  6. delator77

delator77 Famous Member

You are welcome my friend! Good job;)

7. Jom

Jom Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I find the more open look in the latest version is more appealing, and it still gives a fun representation of caves.

I think, as you suggest, making that lowest point under the bridge more open would be the important step in making it more playable. It is definitely better in this version, maybe a rail instead of the fence would be even better.