1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Mechanisms Sharing new (and old) mechanisms

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by meko, Sep 17, 2016.

1. richardfu_

richardfu_ Retired Moderator and Featured Levels Manager

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here is an extreme version of the sticky slider:
    [​IMG]
    1.Pull down the upper draggable.
    2.Raise the bottom draggable to make the bot jump.
    3.Hold the upper draggable. If you are lucky, you'll see the bot freeze in the air!
    This is quite unstable though. I could only succeed once every three times, so not so good for an actual level.

cpw likes this.
  2. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Really funny :D I guess it could be used as the initial trick of a bigger level (so that it doesn't hurt much to restart).

3. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It's awesome! Reminds me of an exploit I found once in your level Return Trip, months ago I went on a veritcal slider with a rail there and immediately pulled it down and back up. In the end he was stuck in mid-air. It was really unstable, though, so I never mentioned it before.

4. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    So funny and unexpected! :D To me it works well and despite it is unusual, I felt it as stable.

5. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I kind of overthought and overlooked a simple way to fix this......Here's a more maneuverable version of the dual motor platform mechanism in my Catch Me If You Can II, but now that I've got 4 ratings I don't think I would implement and reupload it again. :oops:

It does take more extra sliders than expected though (the back motors definitely are pressing the free block too hard :eek: , but are necessary to stabilize the system). Kudos to anyone who managed to move it back to its original position and completed my level :rolleyes::D

(I used rails for the first draggable to widen the gap slightly, so that nobody could jam the motor without having B as a spacer. )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    hadi likes this.
  6. vince

vince Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It works well in my early level Jumpy :)

7. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's an easily implemented one-way path.

image.jpg

The draggable is only usable once, when using a fast sticky rotation to get B past the zappers. Once B is on the other side, the draggable is unreachable.

trids likes this.
  8. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    This is a one-way-path with internal mechanics:
    Screenshot_2016-11-22-23-54-16.jpeg

trids likes this.
  9. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Guess I'm gonna post this one as well......It's a one-way path that I came up with, but didn't use explicitly in Catch Me If You Can II. I think this is one of the smallest I have seen that works for both B and R (if not the smallest). Also there's no moving parts required and all you have to do is to add a single ceiling block. ;)
    [​IMG]

trids and Frenzies like this.
  10. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here is the mechanism I was talking about. It's much more stable with R. When R walks to the slider (it usually works when he walks to it from the stone block), quickly pull it down and back up. It's pretty gruesome, though, as it tries to rip his body from his eye. :confused:
    IMG_1082.PNG

hadi likes this.
  11. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's the self-destruct path mechanism used in my latest level :D
    [​IMG]

hadi, Frenzies and nGord like this.
  12. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Nice - but i wonder if it's possible for B to make the balls fall as he passes over them, without the help of the disruptor ball?
    o_O

13. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Probably not (unless if you add a lot of weight onto B's head maybe), since the legs of B don't seem to have any impact on the path he walks across. I think @richardfu_ 's level Build Up is the only example of B moving an object by his legs, and even then he had to use the falling impact of B.

trids and nGord like this.
  14. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's a mini climbing trick for R (that I stumbled upon by accident while testing The Twins II), but it's quite limiting and not so intuitive to maneuver. The trick is to raise the slider exactly when R is on the downward staircase, and hold it for a second to "extend" his legs slightly. Release the slider and he'll climb up to reach the Win.
    [​IMG]

hadi, trids and Frenzies like this.
  15. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @cpw - That's so cool! :D What are the limitations - does the slider have to be within a certain distance of the stairs or something?

16. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @trids That's one of them (since it's the slider that actually lifts R to extend his legs), but my major dissatisfaction with it was that the trick requires a downward staircase and R could only climb up by one level. Which essentially means R must go down and climb up again (rather than like B, who can continue to climb up an entire mountain) :oops:

trids likes this.
  17. richardfu_

richardfu_ Retired Moderator and Featured Levels Manager

Levels:
    Albums:
    @cpw I feel that the R climbing trick is caused by disrupting his walking pattern rather than extending his legs, since I can also achieve it by dragging the block downward.

trids and cpw like this.
  18. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Good call -- I tested it again with an immovable draggable and the cause seems to be the "freeze" effect of holding the draggable. Essentially it doesn't matter if it's going up or down as long as R gets "frozen" momentarily :rolleyes:

19. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I tested downwards, and somehow failed - but got a sideways slider to work too! In fact, i seem to recall that someone recently featured the sideways delay in a puzzle for a slightly different effect (other than climbing i mean).. Can't remember what for exactly, maybe to get him to rush forward and cross terrain that he normally wouldn't?

No time to test this yet - I'll feedback later.

20. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @trids The downward pull works if you move it down slowly and make sure R is "frozen" momentarily as he walks by. If the draggable is immovable (i.e. Fixed at its upper position), the effect would become more consistent and dragging it in both directions would trigger the climb. So it is not surprising that a sideways one would also work -- as long as R is frozen and released, it appears that his height detection would be reset and causes him to believe he's still a grid higher, enabling the "climb".

trids likes this.