1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Sharing my halfway draft of 'Sneak In V'!

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by richardfu_, Aug 21, 2016.

1. richardfu_

richardfu_ Retired Moderator and Featured Levels Manager

Levels:
    Albums:
    Spoiler Alert: You may want to play my level Sneak In V first before reading.

I saved a draft at halfway of making Sneak In V, when I have implemented the main mechanism and haven't encapsulated it yet. I think it would be something interesting to share. It's one of the most complicated mechanisms I have created!

[​IMG]
    The purpose of the mechanism is to replace the hanging fake B bot with the real one. I learned the multiple B bot trick from meko's Yellow Land.

Here is the flow of the mechanism:
    1.In the beginning, the slider with the fake B bot rises to the top, then a slider with a tall structure comes to block it from falling down. There is also a lower slider which stops at the actual B bot to stop it from getting out (the actual B is getting pushed by balls so that it would come out when there is space).

2.There is a pushable object at the bottom that is blocking a slider to the right. This would be the activation mechanism. This device is activated by pushing down the left ball and the right ball. When the two balls roll down to the pit, they are used to push the pushable object, releasing that slider at the right.

3.The slider at the right pushes the tall structure away. Notice it is stronger because it uses two sliders and the tall structure has only one slider. When it goes back, a small slider blocks it so that it won't move again.

4.The fake B bot moves down. It pushes the lower slider down because, again, it has two sliders. At the lowest point, the actual B comes out and stand on it.

5.The platform with both B bots rises to the middle, being blocked by the tall structure.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    meko, cpw and nGord like this.
  2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I suspected that there was sheer genius behind the scenes of this level of yours. And I so wanted to get details, but couldn't do so on the card page as it would start giving things away. Thank you for your super thoughtfulness to preserve the visible mechanics and to share along with such a detailed description. I watched in wonder for several minutes all the mechanics.

I hadn't considered double sliders to push against a single one. The sliders against balls as spacers makes perfect sense. Another clever part (as you explained) was to have a slider come up behind the legs of the first B to block the second one in order to take up the compression of the legs.

I also just observed how that when a slider is interrupted, it pauses until it can complete its full cycle. What I'm still curious about is why brown cylinders are employed to bump up against brown blocks whenever contact is needed? Is this just to reduce chaffing leading to grinding noises or, worse, inconsistent behaviour? This might be a basic design element, but I have yet to find time to start creating levels. Thank you for the amazing inspiration!!

3. richardfu_

richardfu_ Retired Moderator and Featured Levels Manager

Levels:
    Albums:
    It's used to reduce inconsistent behaviour. Mekorama physics is sometimes unstable and random, so I need to ensure all interactions are smooth so that they don't get stuck. It's especially the case for pushing the free block with balls, because it might not move a full block width.

nGord likes this.
  4. TR O

TR O Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It is quite a generous gesture to expose part your method that people can further discuss the approaches.

Well, seem like the magic is kinda vanished after listing that out haha=D
    and I think I've already leave some comment about how great the level is.
    For mechanism, similar thing I would have done for a level like that but not sure will the reesult be as same as imagination.

In fact, it is good to see you pull the B bot tricks off. Because I've tried and failed.
    You know it's a shame that for a level which need certain drama but it just doesn't work.
    The feeling is like is like Yellow bot is keep saving or getting help from the bot which is not on his side.
    Imagine the bot hanging on your level was red, that would be funny.

I guess this B bot tricks is first discovered by Caken?
    but then meko find out how actually to make it possible lately?
    not sure.. i'm not been on this site for long.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Jomer and richardfu_ like this.