1. Psst! We just published some cool documents with tons of tips and secrets about both this forum and Mekorama. Whether you're just visiting, a new member, or have been with us for a while, we're sure you'll find them useful. So far we have Welcome_to_MekoramaForum.pdf, Introduction_to_Mekorama.pdf, and How_to_Share_a_Mekorama_Level.pdf. Find them all in this forum thread:

Everything you have always wanted to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi. This yellow notice is called a system notice. You can click on the tab of each (at the bottom right) to stop and read them. They can also be dismissed by clicking on the 'X' (in the top right corner). From time to time we may refresh them (make them visible again) as a reminder to all the members. And if you ever want to read one that has been dismissed, you can do so via this thread in the Announcements forum. Thank you for respecting them!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Any cards uploaded that read New Level by Unknown Author will be deleted immediately. Tap on those areas of the card to change both the title and the author. Then make sure that the title you give the upload in the forum matches the title on the card.

General Discussion Sensitive emojis?

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by D.S.Masters, Mar 21, 2020.

Do you find the thumbs up emoji offensive?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

90.9%
  3. Had never thought about it

9.1%
  1. D.S.Masters

D.S.Masters Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film

Levels:
    Albums:
    Okay, this is just me displaying my ignorance of other parts of the world, more likely than not...
    I know that some hand gestures don't mean the same thing all over the world - the American 'okay' gesture is very rude and offensive in other parts of the world.
    So I'm asking about the 'thumbs up' emoji :thumbsup: used in the forum - is that offensive or otherwise something that people don't want to see? If so, I'll quit using it. The other emojis, as far as I know, are perfectly safe... or are they?

EL797 likes this.
  2. EL797

EL797 Weekend Levels Section Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I don't see anything wrong with 'thumbs up'. Instead, I think sometimes the 'rolleyes' :rolleyes: and the 'unsure' :unsure: emoji are a bit offensive. Sometimes 'rolleyes' brings me a feeling as if it is used for teasing someone, and I have seen people offended by it. As for 'unsure', I think it is the most offensive emoji in the forum. In my opinion, more like it is used for judging other's thoughts rather than being used for expressing the feeling of 'unsure' (More like o_O is used for 'unsure' instead).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  3. Meko Guy

Meko Guy Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @D.S.Masters - Your question does raise an interesting idea. I recently received three 'Inappropriate language' warnings where one was on the day of and the other two were almost 2 months old. The rules ask us to be friendly with our comments and therefore one would have to ask, Are the provided emojis inline with the rules? For example, :mad: - this mad face isn't too friendly or :p - this one can easily be taken the wrong way.

Using positive language and adding in a :( or :cry: also doesn't seem very fitting.

EL797, laurence.gr and D.S.Masters like this.
  4. laurence.gr

laurence.gr Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Not at all.
    :thumbsup: = very friendly
    :joy: = more than happy

As to reporting something that you found offensive, just relax for a while and think about the remark. Is it really unfriendly or just an honest feedback?
    More often, sugar-coated comments do more harm than good.

Meko Guy likes this.