1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Various/Other Mekorama Exploits Research

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by Scare Crow, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Block builder

Block builder MekoStudio Helper

Levels:
    Albums:
    So, from @nGord's level "Praying for Rain" a discussion started on what the falling trick is, and what the inertia trick is.

In @vince's Square One II, he explains the falling trick as standing on a square, tapping a few squares further on an edge (walking a straight line), and just before B arrives there, retap the square on the edge. B will accelerate towards the square, but as he already has some speed, he overshoots the square and falls.

Then there is the inertia trick. I thought it was the same, as in the falling trick, B falls as he can't slow down in time, i.e. he has to much inertia. But as explained by nGord in his level, the inertia trick is letting B fall by repeadetly tapping on the blocks on two sides of a gap, joining in the corner.

So by the names alone, I'm confused. I think they are named the wrong way around. In the falling trick B has to much inertia, in the inertia trick B gets out of balance thus falls. But never mind what we call them.

My question is, what really defines them? Acoording to me, the image below shows the inertia trick, but not in a straight line. I think it's this trick, as all I do is tap the block on the edge twice, the second time just before B enters the block.

[​IMG]

According to @Frenzies it's the inertia trick. And so this discussion is still open. My suggestion for their definition (sticking to the -in my opinion- wrong naming of the tricks) is:

Falling trick; tapping on a block on the edge, making B follow whatever path to that block, and tapping again just before he enters the block. Thus, tapping the same block twice.

Inertia trick; tapping two squares on the corner of a gap, making B loose his balance. Thus, repeadetly tapping two blocks alternately.

Scare Crow and vince like this.
  2. vince

vince Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I completely agree with you ! Nothing to add :)

Scare Crow likes this.
  3. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Yes, that's it. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but the photo you showed is the falling trick, as you double tapped.
    What I meant was that the level was supposed to be completed using the inertia trick and not the falling one.

Scare Crow likes this.
  4. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Block builder - thanks for starting this discussion. I agree with you, the naming is confusing and the two in discussion would be better called the other way around.

The Inertia Bug was so coined before my time in early June. Others were also calling it the Boogie Bot Bug. I like odd unique names more, because then we don't get hung up on the meanings of the words themselves and we're more likely to be on the same page.

In this case, I'd like to propose calling all falling tricks as one class: "Falling Tricks." Within that class, we know of at least three:
    1. @Weders version; (which became known as the Boogie Bot Bug / Inertia Trick)
    2. @meko 's version; and now
    3. @vince 's version.

Did I miss any?

I will start off by re-iterating that, yes, vince's is more in line with the word inertia while Weders' is a more likely candidate for the word falling. So could we brainstorm some better names? I'll start:

1. Boogie Bot Bug (because that's what many have been using (or perhaps Dizzy Bot Bug) and stop using Inertia Bug even though that has been used a lot too);
    2. Pillar to Stair trick (not cute, but definitely apt and descriptive);
    3. Tripping on Air trick.

Update: I forgot a fourth falling trick: tap on a draggable and before B gets to it, move it out of the way. Suggested titles: Fake Floor, Pulled Rug, See You Later, Joke's on You, Trap Door, etc.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  5. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    I have found ball pushing (pushing balls that are on the ground) to be very unstable (which is why people use the ball-on-pillar), but I was experimenting with a soccer level, and to my surprise, B was able to push the ball all the time, while it takes me 10-15 tries of zig-zagging to hit a ball in other levels. I experimented some more and found that B pushes balls when he travels at least 2 blocks from the west (I think. If B is facing in the direction of the ball, 1 block will work) and turns 2 blocks from the ball and hits it. You could try experimenting some more with it.

EDIT: If B is facing forward, he has to run 1 block from the west before turning. If you go from at least 2 blocks, he will not hit the ball.

6. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Forgive me @Frenzies but I observed that B can hit a ball if it walks for atleast 2 blocks before stopping at a block adjescent to the ball.....regardless of the direction

Frenzies likes this.
  7. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    It depends on the device your using, but I think this technique works on most devices (it worked on the 2 I tested it on).

Scare Crow likes this.
  8. B Hill

B Hill Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I used the same falling design as @meko in The Earthquake but I honestly don't remember if I saw this in another earlier level. I do remember have issues with consistency in getting B to fall but found adding the walls on either side of the path at B's head caused enough instability to make B almost guaranteed to fall.

meko and nGord like this.
  9. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    See my comment in my level http://mekoramaforum.com/media/deserted-first-attempt.4414/. There are 2 bugs in that one (one only works on certain devices).

EDIT: Decided to post the first bug here:
    IMG_0774.PNG If you touch/cross the brick (its effect is not triggered by the bricks themselves. I just used them to mark the boundaries) circle, it will fall. The great thing about the bug is that it's completely stable, but I don't know what other structures have the same effect. As long as you copy the tree exactly as it is, it will always have that effect. Any moving/movable object (a stone block on the line won't activate it) will trigger it, but there can be slight differences (the only one I noticed so far is that a draggable couldn't activate it from a certain corner).

I don't know if I can replicate the second one. It seems VERY unstable.

EDIT 2: Some additional information: It seems that you can rotate the tree, so North South East West orientation doesn't matter. You have to make sure that you put the branches in the same order, though. The tree will fall in the direction of the longest (horizontally) branch.

B can trigger the tree even when he's up to 1 block higher or 2 blocks lower. You can also activate it from anywhere in between that.

So far, the only way I've been able to modify the tree without destroying the effect is making it one rail taller (I put another rail at the bottom).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Scare Crow likes this.
  10. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I discovered this accidentally. Maybe it's already known.

image.jpg

Because the steps are at the edges of the 16x16 maximum area, B cannot climb them, although R can.

Scare Crow likes this.
  11. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    I know it, but I don't think that many people know it too.

12. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    One more small experiment.

image.jpg

Attached Files:

13. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    That's already discovered. There are actually a lot of levels using it now, since the way to do it just got out a couple of days ago.

trids and Ahmed sa like this.
  14. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    For now it's essentially just a cosmetic thing though......We've seen fake B bots and fake Win boxes being utilized in gameplay now (as the element of visual deception), though this one doesn't seem useful in terms of actual gameplay. :rolleyes:

15. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ah. I thought they all involved towers.

16. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Great discoveries guys....THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SHARING

17. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    Yes, they did. I discovered that they didn't need them :rolleyes:

18. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Guys I had a doubt....can the B bot be reincarnated using shock therapy......the same shock that kills B...can it be used to reincarnate it.....i know it sounds absurd but stilll if you have ever come across such a situation please post a reply

19. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I have my doubts.

I have a few levels where I wanted to be sure stochastic movements didn't result in a win after B was shocked, so i left them running for a while unattended. In scenarios where B had dropped, there was no further directed movement for the next ten minutes, just residual rocking and the occasional arcing and sad crackle of insult layered upon injury as additional shocks were applied.

I wpuld guess that, just as the victory button being pushed triggers certain conditions (green light, a change in music), the shock disables B's standing upright, ability to walk to a new target location, and eye movements, and the code does not have a way of moving thpse flags back to an active state while a level is running.

Scare Crow likes this.
  20. Rohan Kumar

Rohan Kumar Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    The_U_trick.png
    This is the new trick I used in the "wall run" level. To get to the other side safely, Tap any of the first 3 blocks near the finish end on the metal , then quickly move the U back and forth 2-3 times fast then , if correct amount of delay was induced B will traverse the grass path instead of the metal path.:eek::):D

trids likes this.