1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Organization How can I become a Moderator?

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by Rafif Abrar, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Rafif Abrar

Rafif Abrar Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hi everyone. Just like the title says,I'd like to know how to get the title of "Moderator".In one of the forum pages,@Gepeto said-
    • Moderator - This is granted to those who dedicate themselves to helping the forums.
    But I don't quite understand what this means.Could someone explain it to me?Maybe staff members like @nGord ,@Gepeto?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Rafif Abrar - I'd love to hear your opinion of what it takes to be a Moderator. ;)

Rafif Abrar likes this.
  3. Rafif Abrar

Rafif Abrar Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @nGord So, am I supposed to just write nice comments to everyone and help them in the forum to be a Moderator?

4. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    NO!

Be polite, yes, but you should be honest and constructive if it would help improve the situation. Posting only positive comments and ratings ends up diminishing their value.

Being a Moderator is a job and a responsibility. It takes maturity, tact, and dedication among other things. Being nice is far from being sufficient. We should all be nice.

Being helpful is also something that we all should strive for instinctively. Moderating a forum is not about being helpful when simply wanting to be, but being helpful to the overall community all the time. Sometimes that is about being helpful in specific situations to specific individuals. But other times it is about being strict or enforcing the desires of the majority against a potential minority. In that case the Moderator may need to confront or challenge someone whose actions could be seen as potentially offending or disrupting others and their enjoyment of the forum.

This is only a short response to your question. For a full explanation of what a forum Moderator is I suggest doing a web search or two.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  5. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Someone recently requested to be a Moderator so that they can help others and because they deserve the title after being a member for a long time. I've addressed the "helping others" aspect above as something we should all try and do for each other. As for the title, I need to stress that this is not a matter of prestige. This was my response to them:

That's great that you want to help others. You can do that right now either with level comments, forum posts, and/or private conversations. I would love to see examples of your advice and explanations particularly for everyone's benefit in the Forums section.

Moderators, however, are arbitrators and mediators of problems that arise from confrontation. Moderators are the opposite of friends, they enforce the rules and civil discourse (ensure polite conversation). Here is a definition of what it means to moderate:
    source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/moderate#Verb

Furthermore, our current Moderators were elected to their positions. Granted, they haven't been doing much in the way of moderating of late, but luckily there hasn't been much need. In other words, being a moderator is a job, not an honorary position.

Here are some examples of what Moderators do:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the list goes on...

Has this helped clear things up?

[Note: edited for readability]

6. Master Author

Master Author Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    now i know what moderator's do..I think it's been a very busy job.But i will do my best to serve members on this forum..:):)

nGord likes this.
  7. Meko Guy

Meko Guy Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Speaking of moderators... I've been noticing that aside from nGord, who wanted to step back from the job, there has been very little moderation for sometime now. For example, I'll report a card with a mismatched title and card name or a no win block card and 5 days later I'll get a notification that it was resolved. Wow - I think 5 days is a little long as everyone who was going to play the level without the win block as already done so. If moderators are not logging in but once in 5 days then either we should have more or some moderators that log in frequently. I'm not thinking that I should be a moderator at all but I know of a few very experienced members who do log in daily, every day however they may not be interested.

Should we have more moderators or at least some new ones that are active?

EL797 likes this.
  8. B-Bot

B-Bot New Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I certainly agree so. The case is new, because when I joined I uploaded a reported card (I was new!) and it was resolved an hour later!!

9. BangTe

BangTe Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Moderators are hard work
    And apparently heavier than I thought
    So I prefer to be a mode-author

10. Azka Fauzan Firdaus

Azka Fauzan Firdaus Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It is. If you have experienced with it, of course you have a lot of responsibility into it. Not just giving advice to someone and straight become a moderator. No. Moderator's job is more than that. As nGord said in his threads, I see that being Moderator in here is such a huge work. Not like Discord where you have lots of Moderator to stay their eyes for the members (at least that's what I experienced), in here, you have lot of members that not really understand English. That is one of example. And you need to moderate him like to just using Google Translate instead of saying in his foreign language in one of someone thread for example.