1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Various/Other Durations of events in the mekorama world

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by explorer, Nov 10, 2016.

1. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I was running into some issues recently when trying to integrate R movements with sliders. I thought it would be easy to have one of each travel alongside each other, just to verify what I knew about a slider moving one square at the same pace as an R bot, and a motor rotating at the same speed as an R bot turning.

Or, better said, to verify what I *thought* I knew.

So I set a long slider alongside a long path for R, with a pointer on top of the slider so I could see a little more easily their relative positions. The slider was fractionally faster... but wait... how did R get ahead of the slider on the turnaround?

Here's the test ground, with the long paths in the foreground when you open the level.

image.jpg

So I set up a few more ideas. At the center is a motor clock, which can be compared to the movement of a slider's movement, and also with the turning R beside it.

I also had two Rs walking on a 3-block run and a 7-block run. I figured, the 3 R would walk two, and rotate twice, for a total of four actions. The 7 R would walk six, and rotate twice, for a total of eight actions.

Nope.

I finally made an easier, shorter test, with an R on a 2-block walk, and an R on a 3x3 continuous path. The 2 R would have two actions, a step and a turn, to get back to the starting position, and the 3x3 R would have 16 actions, a total of 4 turns and 12 steps. If you rotate on free camera so the grass block is closest your point of view and restart, you'll see that they start exactly in synch, and then the 2 R gets ahead over time.

So, relative to each other, the actions from fastest to slowest are:

R quarter turn
    Slider moving one square
    R walks one square
    Motor quarter turn

Those last two have a ratio of three R walk actions to two motor quarter rotations.

----

This does explain why some of my unposted R unit "dance" levels would result in jams over long running times. Any R units with more turns in its paths would eventually pull ahead of my previous incorrect assumptions about their positions, throwing off the interlocking movements and the inducement of turns through the use of a moving R unit.

All this arose because I was trying to figure out where I was going wrong in determining where a slider should be at a certain moment to allow R to cross a normally open gap. I post it here in case anyone else wonders about why things aren't lining up as they expect, and hopefully saving them some time....

Frenzies, trids, cpw and 1 other person like this.
  2. sawdust

sawdust Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I have pondered this many times, but never actually set out the test like you have. Awesome job!

trids likes this.