1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Mechanisms Sharing new (and old) mechanisms

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by meko, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I think that people could move the Draggable inside with enough effort, unless you encase it in a Draggable wall.

2. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I'm glad that we're now creating our own versions of one-way blocks. :D

3. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Another simple version of "one-way path"
    Screenshot_2016-10-23-00-26-51.jpeg

trids and cpw like this.
  4. richardfu

richardfu Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @meko I think there is a difference between "one-way path" and "one-time-only path". Any drop mechanism can make a one-way path, but one-time-only path is a bit more complicated.

meko, Frenzies and cpw like this.
  5. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @meko - Your cursed slider is cursed indeed! My B won't step back onto it... [​IMG]
    .. Is that what you mean by "cursed"?

Cos i can't even get B to step onto this slider at all / ever ...
    [​IMG]

meko likes this.
  6. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @trids it's an exploit first showcased by @Akira Wong in his level Final Guard. Bots cannot step onto the slider itself when the slider is at its default position.

Rohan Kumar and trids like this.
  7. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I was thinking of creating a walkable path made up of rotating zapper bot heads (which would then be manipulated by the R-stopper trick), but as I started I noticed this......That in fact the zapper bots malfunction even under the R-stopper trick :eek::eek: I previously assumed they only malfunction when turning around (which is also the description in @trids 's Tutorial 3). So I'm guessing that the actual reason behind it is that the zapper bot is staying at the same spot (no matter rotating or not). :confused:

Note: You may need to tap a little lower in order to get B onto the sunken zapper.
    [​IMG]

trids likes this.
  8. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I think you're right - looks like the short-circuit malfunction starts when the zapper bot stops dead, or pauses in a turn.

Nice to know zappers have some Achilles' heels!
    :)

cpw likes this.
  9. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's a behavior I discovered when making a block with variable paths inside, actuated to blocks outside, but without the player having the ability to touch the actual paths to choose a destination block. I was using stone wedges to make "arrow slit" openings to allow an interior view, while disallowing touching the blocks inside.

And then I found out that there is a circumstance where one can touch a block inside.

image.jpg

And, in case it isn't obvious, the win...

Click on the block visible through the arrow slit at which the arrow is pointing.

I abandoned the idea as being too esoteric, as it never appears in the original cards, but present it here.

Anyone else experiment with this, and stumble onto the same circumstance?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  10. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
  11. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @trids - Ah. I put up an image from a hidden folder I set up as experiment, to avoid posting levels which weren't meant as actual contributions. It was apparently still hidden when invoked through a link.

So, I've fixed the original post's spoiler image with an upload instead of an image link. It should display now.

Thanks for the heads up!

trids likes this.
  12. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It's working fine now - thanks!
    :)

13. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's one experiment I did on the predicable effects of gravity.

[​IMG]

I found that in simple environments, the physics of "random" elements actually seemed to be more predictable. As time went on, and even as B and various Rs moved around, those "random" elements were affected by the "gravity" of nearby objects.

I'm curious as to whether others have the same trajectories occur when using the same card across their own different instances of the game.

For those who want the solution right out of the gate:

Move immediately onto the metal block.

When the path to the winning position was longer, it introduced variation which made the win an unsure thing on my own device, which makes me wonder if others experience a sure win on their own when using the solution in the second spoiler above.

trids likes this.
  14. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Yep - i get the same results. At first i suspected that B might actually touch the ball, but from other angles it's clear that he doesn't.
    I think your gravity theory has some ... gravity .
    :cool:

Maybe the balls have a programed electrostatic effect?

(with more time) it would be interesting to see what influence, if any, moves in the opposite direction (away from the ball) might have.
    o_O

15. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I initially found a consistent repeating pattern in a much larger "Throw me the statue!" level, only to find that placing a pile of bricks in a place much further away suddenly changed the previously consistent pattern to a new consistent pattern.

I've read more than a few posts about inconsistent behavior for some tricks, which is why I started wondering about the consistency of other behaviors which I would normally assume to be stochastic/random, but might not be.

On the most complicated of the dance levels I've submitted, electric shuffle, I found that the Rs would sometimes get confused on very long runs of the level. I finally relaid the paths of each R, and then the confusion seemed to disappear.

This stuff definitely has me curious about what randomness is built in.

16. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @explorer that's an intriguing discovery! Although I think it would be too cryptic to be implemented as part of a puzzle, it'd be good to know if it might help stabilizing a mechanism. :D

17. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Not sure if this has been discovered before, but I have just noticed that R can actually walk on anything after a downward staircase:

[​IMG]
    I think it also explains why R can step onto B's eye if descending from a staircase. :D

Edit: @meko just posted a level that showcases the same ideas (but without L-shaped stairs and wedges I think)! So I guess this would be a rediscovery instead. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    trids, explorer and meko like this.
  18. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    @explorer Yes, the presence or position of other objects can sometimes affect an object. I was able to complete your level with the intended solution; it seems to be pretty stable. Here's another (and more affecting) example of
    IMG_0943.PNG
    that I found before and posted in the MEKORAMA EXPLOITS RESEARCH thread. The tree (it was a dried out tree in one of my failed levels) will fall if you cross the brick line. It can be a great trigger mechanism when used properly and can surprise players (like in the failed level. Because of the tree, it was able to receive 4 star ratings).

explorer, meko and cpw like this.
  19. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    B apparently can generate some kind of force field to repel free objects :D

20. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    The effect is very weak and fragile, though. I tried other builds and they wouldn't work. But when you find a good configuration, it should be stable. It can also do other things, like I think in @Sunny Sunset's fan level (I forgot its name). One of the motors would only turn if you come near, and if you do, the other will stop turning.

cpw likes this.