1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Help - Forum @ mentions not triggering alerts

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by nGord, Aug 26, 2016.

1. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Has anyone else noticed that they're not getting alerted when mentioned using the @ prefix? I'm getting plenty of alerts from levels and forum threads where I have posted to previously, but not from those where I have not posted to... yet where someone has referenced me. And yes, I have all the options under Alert Preferences checked off. Cheers.

2. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    So an update based on observations by @Frenzies and @Gepeto : It appears that alerts are triggered for @ mentions only when made in forum posts (such as this one) and not when made in the comments section of a submitted level. This information based on the conversation we had on @Scare Crow 's level Patience.

@NeoCHI @Sunny Sunset : is this unexpected behaviour ("feature") of this website something that could be fixed such that all @ mentions trigger alerts for those that so desire by way of their Alert Preferences?

Scare Crow likes this.
  3. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I confirm: tagging works from forum, not from levels. Recently I've seen that I have been named from the "recent comments" section o_O I have ticked all the options of the alert section but nothing changed. As we are allowed to tag each other from the level section this should be a working feature. On another way, I have to admit that the xenForo platform seems really great and I didn't know before this site. Maybe an upgrade is about to improve some buggy features?...

4. Sunny Sunset

Sunny Sunset Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    As far as I know, it works like this:

if you haven't posted to a thread or a level, you won't be notified because it's assumed you weren't interested if you didn't post in them.
    If you did post to a thread or a level, and somebody adds a post whether you are tagged or not, you will receive notification that a comment was made.
    If someone tags you, you will receive notification.
    If someone likes you, you will receive notification.

All your notifications should show up on the website in the upper right corner flag.

If you chose to get notifications via email, only those that are posted in a forum that you have posted to will notify you via an email.

5. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    OK... So the part that doesn't seem to work is when someone tags someone else in the level section (not the forum). There's no notification received, even on the alert section of the menu.

6. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Agreed.

@Sunny Sunset That is the issue: what Gepeto reworded. I agree with your summary of notifications, it's just that the alerts are not happening when someone tags you from a level comment section.

7. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    It seems to be a bug. I checked the preferences to see if it's really not supposed to, but while it says that it alerts you when you're tagged in a comment in the level section of the alert preferences (the one for threads describes it as being mentioned in a post), there doesn't seem to be an option to exactly tag someone, so I think that it's the same as being mentioned. It's pretty confusing o_O

8. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    Yes, there is. You are notified that a comment was made on that level...
    If it wasn't a level that you posted in, you will still be notified that a comment was made.

This has happened to me a couple of times where somebody flagged me on a level that I never commented on.

9. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    Oddly, that doesn't seem to happen to me. I have never gotten notified for being tagged in a comment, and people have mentioned me a couple of times.

10. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ditto.

11. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    How do you know you've been mentioned on levels you never commented on ...if you're not being notified of the mention? Hmmm?

12. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    I'm pretty active, so sometimes I see it in the recent comments section (like @Gepeto). Sometimes I just happen to check the level out and see my name mentioned in a comment.

13. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    OK... @Frenzies answered before me... ;) We've already explained that.

14. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ok, so if you are seeing it in the recent comments, and then going to look, it won't be in your notifications...because the response time is not immediate. It can take a while for the notification to show up.

And after you have looked, there is no need for the notification. Because it knows you saw the post.

15. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    From recent comments I can understand the logic you wrote, even if the notification delay seems quite short (I've seen that one the next minute you posted it). But when we discover after several days by passing through a level by chance?
    I really think as developer that something is messed up...

nGord likes this.
  16. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    If you feel that way, then find out what the platform is that this website is developed on, and contact developer of the platform… It's not necessarily an admin problem if the issue itself is due to Platform development.

And its such a minor issue... So what if you're not notified of a post where your name is mentioned in a level you had not followed yet? If it's important, someone will start a conversation with you to find out why you didn't respond. If it's not important, just an ego issue, ignore it.

17. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    Oh... Come on... :( It's not against you.. I am just trying to help about a problem. I am used to meet bugs and stuffes like that and I know that things could be complicated. It's not your fault.

nGord likes this.
  18. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    Huh?
    I'm just giving you a potential solution…
    It's a dead horse, stop kicking it.... ;)

19. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    Er... you're not just mentioned as an admin but as a staff member. I haven't started this thread but I suppose people (including myself) thought that you're the one in charge of that. As several reported an issue on the website, your solution is to contact the XenForo team or check if this is not an ego issue :confused: Seriously... I could understand that you don't know what the problem is and how to solve it. But I don't think that anyone as member has to deal with the platform developers (unless someone uses it for something else) . If you don't know how to solve this or don't have the ability to, that's fine, nobody has to be blamed. We're all learning something and try to help thinks to be better. That shows that we feel involve by the Mekorama project.
    To me it's not a minor problem, as one essential functionality of a community is to be able to tag each other and so communicate. Otherwise how can I reply to someone trying to get my attention? That's not just complaints... The issue could come from the platform itself (in that case you can't do anything) or from its configuration.

20. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Sunny Sunset

I'm disappointed. I simply asked if it was something that could be fixed.

Rather than answering the question you first insulted me by telling me how the website works according to your understanding. In other words, implying that my concern is baseless because I am clearly not able to understand correct website behaviour on my own.

Then, rather than investigating the problem on behalf of the community you insisted that it didn't exist. That your experiences have been different from the vast majority and that is all that matters.

Thirdly you then go on to question our integrity, implying that surely there is no way we could notice the lack of notifications if we didn't get the notifications.

We explain rationally how this is possible and you then turn it into an argument. This then includes immediately dismissing the problem - that "after you have looked, there is no need for the notification."

Your next installment is then to deflect the problem from one that the management of this website has any control of or interest in solving. If you remember, I simply asked if it could be fixed. If it can't, then that would be fine, but to get upset at us asking is not community building.

From here it gets even worse as you belittle the problem: "And its such a minor issue..." Whether it is big or small is irrelevant to the fact that we just want to know whether it can be fixed.

In the same breathe you then go and insult us implying that surely we have an ego problem if this is of a concern to us. I'm sorry, but we are all simply trying to improve the website for all. When someone should tag another, they may be left wondering why the other hasn't answered (that is if they expect the notification system to work). Thus, this problem is not so much one that we as recipients of a tag are concerned about as much as we're concerned for those yet unaware.

Then when we clearly spell out that this is a conversation that we'd like to have with the administration of this website and for the greater good of the readers and users - that "It's not against you" - you ask us to stop the conversation, that you have 1. provided a solution, and 2. that we are persisting beyond the purpose, interest, and reason (definition of kicking a dead horse here). 1. No you have not provided a solution, took ownership, or provided a reasonable alternate contact. And 2. Having failed to get our one and only question of whether this can or cannot be fixed answered is not a case of beating a dead horse.

This has now turned from a simple question into a parody and an embarrassment of the management of this website. I don't know the challenges you have in life, but there is no reason that you need to take out your issues with the patrons of this website. Also misplacing your ego concerns on us is beyond reproach, particularly for someone in the position of a moderator. There has been no moderation of this thread, in fact, it has been quite the opposite.

meko, richardfu_ and Gepeto like this.