1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Boundaries Game area boundaries became fixed once set, even upon later

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by explorer, Nov 19, 2016.

1. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I've run into an interesting behavior a few times, where the 16x16 boundaries for the level are set and become unalterable, even when later attempting to edit the level.

I ran into it again and decided to strip things down and to make a virtue of necessity.

So, if you look at predestination, you'll notice that B will treat the entire back part of the level (the front being what's in the foreground when starting it), within the originally set 16x16 boundaries, as one-touch attainable targets. B will even climb down the stairs to get there, something B will not do if a space is outside the boundaries. Normally, travel outside the level requires a transitional move where you maneuver B to the border between the bound area and the exterior, then a touch to the space directly on the other side of the border.

I had originally deleted two rows in the back to add two more up front, but I still kept getting a maximum area error. This kept happening as I removed row after row in the back. Finally I was down to six rows at the front, and decided to just go with it.

I'm sure this is old news to those who have been making levels from the start. From those of you in the know, how can one force the boundaries to be fixed in a particular place?

Astral_Mage and trids like this.
  2. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Wicked! :p

But I think you've answered your own question - you've just described how to cleverly force the boundaries into a particular place.
    ;)

The cost of it is that you can't change them once you've established (forced) them. Nevertheless, you've been able to capitalise masterfully on this effect in your puzzles. Well done!

And a great find - maybe you should document it under the crafty mechanisms thread.
    :)

Edit : It turns out there is in fact a way to set the boundaries on demand and at any time - for details, see my Tutorial 4.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I've been utilizing this in my advanced levels(which I yet have to upload :cry:), always allowing an empty block before a restarting stair.

As for setting boundaries, forcing a line of blocks beyond the original boundaries moves the boundary at the forced position.
    Setting boundaries is a great tool for creators; knowledge of such concept help creators avoid rebuilding a whole level from scratch.

I wish I could upload some images to illustrate but it is a bit of a nuisance to upload from my phone :confused:

trids likes this.
  4. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Like this :)

explorer likes this.
  5. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    And there I was, thinking this level was too easy and not worth posting. :D

trids likes this.
  6. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Maybe you were looking for it in the General subforum. The thread has been moved to Level Creation Help.

trids likes this.
  7. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Great! Thanks, link inserted
    :)