1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Franken-Bots Movement sequences of a headless R Bot

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by Gepeto, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    On the 3-10-4 level I have pointed out a surprising and sequential behavior of a headless R Bot (which means the body alone without eye or anything else).

[​IMG]

It doesn't seems to be a new discovery but no investigation has been made before, so several creators though as an erratic behavior of R Bot (a crazy bot :confused:). Strange as computers and programs follow a logic pattern...

Recently @Scare Crow used it in his Patience level. So maybe it's time to dig deeper on the subject and try to find out what's going on behind this.

When we let a headless R Bot walk on his way we could thought of a crazy bot with unexpected rotations behaviors. In fact he follows this pattern:

[​IMG]
    So R Bot follows a sequence of 3 steps, turn right, 10 steps, turn right, 4 steps, turn right then starts over from the 3 steps sequence.

First conclusion: it doesn't seem to be a bug but an algorithmic behavior. For a reason that I ignore @Martin Magni coded the movement of a headless R Bot like that...

Now... Another question pointed out : what happens if R Bot is stopped in his path? That's were I am stucked... It seems that he doesn't follow a logic path until the moment is coming back to the 3-10-4 sequence.

Here is a testing level I have made. It is intended to test the behavior of R on the 10 steps path initialy but the 3 and 4 steps sequence can be checked too. The red bricks are the place where R turns depending on the step you stop him (for step 3 and 8, the next should be 10 but the world is to large to place them...).

[​IMG]
    It's hard for me to beleave that an "if...then...else" code condition decide for the movement of R Bot when an unexpected obstacle is on his way, but until now I don't have more clues and it could be great to find a kind of "single equation" on that. I could share some others partial results but I know some have interesting stuffes to post :cool:

For now @Scare Crow (and now @meko it seems ;)) try to investigate on that but maybe more want to join the party :)

Let's share our testing levels, results, questions or fulgurances together! :D

laurence.gr and nGord like this.
  2. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Screenshot_2016-08-26-23-16-01.jpeg
    how did i say in a comment on your level, there isn't a real sequence for the headless robot.
    If he meets a hole he will forget the "3-4-10" sequence and he will walk randomly(try this level) . I think that the random walk can't be investigated. But i can't deny that if the headless robot doesn't meet a hole this sequence is interesting. and that sequence must be deepened.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Gepeto likes this.
  3. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    You're right, when R Bot is in front of an obstacle he leaves the 3-10-4 sequence for a while but he comes back to it after an unexpected sequence. So he didn't forget it. On your testing level R is walking 2 steps before the obstacle then 13 other steps (unexpected) before coming back to the "magic" sequence. If blocked after 1 step the unexpected step would be different but not the final goal to the magic sequence. I wonder what is the logic behind this unexpected sequence... :confused:

4. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Getepo here is the pattern I observed for immovable objects acting as resistance Ether chart.jpg

BangTe likes this.
  5. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ok @meko i observed the following pattern when a hole acts as a resistance....it is different from the object chart only at 7 spots
    IMG_20160827_140029.jpg

6. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    And yes....when the bot reaches the edge of the terrain it follows the pattern as per the hole chart

7. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    HURRAH!!!!....another discovery..... The bot responds differently to single and multi storied blocks and holes. The charts for its reaponse to multi storied blocks and holes shall i post shortly

8. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    This is the chart for multi storied blocks used as resistance
    IMG_20160827_171017.jpg

9. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here is the chart for multi leveled holes used as resistance IMG_20160827_171831.jpg

10. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Guys these are the secondary movements(i.e.movements if an abstracle is placed in the bot's main 3-10-4 path).......if you have got time to discover its tertiary and quarternery paths(i.e. if an obstracle is placed on the secondary and tertiary paths).....please make a chart and post it

11. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    WOW!!!!....ANOTHER NEW FACT.....The ether does not seem to affect the headless R bot when it is walking on stairs arranged along the same direction, in a line......The following level may provide a good example Screenshot_2016-08-28-15-50-11.png

12. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    The results are the same even if the 3rd stair is replaced by a block

13. Scare Crow

Scare Crow Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    The Triplet paradox
    Sometimes the bot forgets all rules and patterns and runs in a square taking 3 steps in each direction.

Other kinds of paradoxes also exist where the bot follows a different set of rules...

When these things occor just close the game and open it again...the bot will behave normal after this