1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Bot Paths Autopilot - B climbs onto/over block moved into his path

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by zolv, Aug 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. zolv

zolv New Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hello

I'm new here, so hello to everybody.

I created a minimal level that presents - what I think is - a bug.
    Here is the level:
    http://mekoramaforum.com/media/mekorama-jump-over-a-bug.3448/

It looks like it is impossible to jump on a box to step on red dot. But on my Cat S40, Android 5, Mekorama v1.1 it is possible.

I plan to record a video to present "solution" but I will try to explain it:
    Click on grass-box next to moving box. Yellow guy will start to walk. Then, move the moving box so it will appear on the Yellow guy's path.
    What happens is, Yellow guy hits the the moving block and it somehow jumps on it.
    I think expected behaviour should be that hitting box in such simple case shouldn't result in jumping on it.

Here is also another level so it is possible to finish by doing it 3 times:
    http://mekoramaforum.com/media/mekorama-jump-over-3-bugs.3450/

Greetings!
    zolv

Attached Files:

Astral_Mage and trids like this.
  2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Welcome to the site! Thank you for your enthusiasm and for clearly outlining your topic in a forum post!

As you'll notice, you might get less attention to your issue via a forum post as compared to a level post, but you will get better and more hospitable feedback here.

Yes, you found something commonly discovered. There are actually many variants of exploiting the path completion (autopilot) algorithm. There is discussion now about centrally documenting it all.

Essentially though, the autopilot algorithm dictates that once a spot in a level that can be reached by B is tapped, B will be charged with a path to reach that spot. He will thus act as if he is in autopilot mode. If a draggable of single block height is introduced into the path, B will climb onto or over it (depending on where the destination is). If the path is obstructed by an R bot, then he'll try to go around (including over a single-height obstacle again if need be). If B is initially on a draggable and it is moved, then B will continue as if it hasn't, i.e. if he falls or is raised before completion, then he'll continue in the new plane.

There are many great levels both describing these effects as well as employing them in order to complete the level. There are too many credits to start in doing everyone justice in this post. Hopefully we'll capture everything soon. Until then, please continue explorations both in level generation as well as this site. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Dr. Schultz, Astral_Mage and trids like this.
  3. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Oh, I just realized that it would have been cool if you did upload a card to the Levels section to have referenced this forum post in it's comments. I will post something there to the same effect. ;)

4. zolv

zolv New Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hmm, so it looks like I post something averybody already know about ;)
    OK then, thank You for explanation.
    Cheers.

5. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    I'm working on a document that summarizes all that we've learned. I'm going to need help with it though. This should in no way though discourage you from experimenting and sharing with us. Well done today!

Astral_Mage and trids like this.