1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Organization Why should a level be given a 1-star rating?

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by retrograde, Jun 14, 2016.

Why should a level be given a 1-star rating?

1. It’s clearly not solvable.

20 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. I couldn’t figure out how to solve it.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. I really dislike this style of level.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Duplicate or rip-off: The level was created by someone else on the forum.

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  5. Ridiculously easy.

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  6. Excessively tedious to solve.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  7. Other (coment

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. retrograde

retrograde Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    There's quite a number of levels that are being given 1-star ratings. Some perhaps deserve it. Others clearly don't.

Please select your top 3 choices to why you'd give a 1-star rating. If you select "other" please add a comment with your answer.

2. clorox

clorox Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    For me the "others" are automated levels (win without tap) or very small levels based only on glitch but only if there's no proper level description.

3. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I've never actually given any 1-star rating, but I'd say I'm really not a big fan of precision / luck / glitch-based levels as well as those with terrible viewing angles. I also tend to appreciate smaller-scaled intricate designs more than the colossal ones.

meko, nGord and Sorella M. like this.
  4. Sunny Sunset

Sunny Sunset Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Other reasons:
    If you die as soon as the level is opened (no time to think, spin, or tap);

if a goal flag does not exist, because the level isn't meant to be solved, just looked at

if there's no feedback in a blind a trial and error to let you know if you're on the right track, or so that next time you can get it right;

If it's so poorly designed that you have to use a moveable "cheat" block to win it;

If elements are not properly anchored and you can pull them up/out and use them to cheat and win.

Has design elements that do not work with all devices currently In use (for example, a yellow bot cannot push a ball; draggable blocks must be touched directly, touching what is attached to it doesn't work; and there are others.)

If you have to use a bug to win it… But the bug doesn't work on all devices (I love bug levels...when they work, but some devices cannot control a hovering bot, for example.

Additionally, a one-star rating should never be given in anger, out of spite, or for revenge due to a previous one-star rating given to you. Trashing every level in one's album, including the album itself, just becaus that person rated yours poorly, is definitely frowned upon in the rating circles.

When giving a one-star review, always give constructive criticism as to why you gave it, and how the level may be improved... If you have any ideas in that direction.

nGord, meko, Sorella M. and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sorella M.

Sorella M. New Member

a helpful list for me to learn about "official" nogos in levels.

In these days it seems to me, that lower rating has most to do with "find it (a bit) easy" (because I find that often as only comment, next to "nice") what to me looks like the most subjective view possible.
    Under this circumstances you can only do one thing: sort this vote under "if this guy finds the level to easy, it can be fun for me to try it". Which needs some readingtime to learn about taste of active members.

Sunny Sunset likes this.
  6. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Additionally, I don't like unsolvable bug report levels, but if they mention that it's a bug report, I'll usually ignore it. I don't think I've ever given a 1 star rating; I've given at least 2 star ratings, at least (I think). If there's something wrong with a level (it automatically solves itself, there are loose Draggables, etc.), I usually just tell the creator. I wouldn't ever give a low rating to a level because of choices 2 or 3 in the poll. It's unfair to give a level a low rating just because you couldn't solve it. And disliking a type of level is just your opinion. If you don't like that type of level, just leave it alone. I picked choices 1, 4 and 5 in the poll.

EDIT:
    @nGord reminded me of hidden Draggables. I really hate completely hidden Draggables that have no hint of being where it is. If there is a hint of where it is, like in the @Ricko 's Floating Grass, where the tree is made of metal, I usually leave it alone. Slightly hidden Draggables like in @meko 's Ruins are fine; I actually like them.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    B Hill, Astral_Mage and nGord like this.
  7. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    #3 was about disliking a level...you just said "And disliking a type of level is just your opinion. If you don't like that type of level, just leave it alone." yet you voted for #3

Also, you say you don't like bug levels, yet you are spamming all posts with an "ad" for your own level about:"My unique levels that utilize new mechanics I discover"... which are basically what people are calling "bug levels" because that's what the bugs are...newly discovered mechanics.

Your "spoiler" is completely irrelevant to this thread, and is not for the public eye...that's personal. It's nice that you have PRIVATE goals, but the rest of us don't need to know about them.

Please delete your spam "signature", self-promoting levels is not appropriate. This isn't a competition, so such signatures are not appropriate. Ditto your "spoiler". You can edit your above message to delete the spoiler as well.

8. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ok... I didn't know that I shouldn't do it. I play other games and a lot of their forumers have goals; almost all of them. My "bug levels" are all solvable. I was referring to the bug report levels that are literally just bug report levels. Some of them were even already discovered. They just put something that looks weird, or functions weirdly and post it. It can range to almost anything, and are the type that should just be posted in the Bugs & Future Requests subforum. I like solvable ones, as you can see when I rated Running Ghost and Squeeze. I made a mistake when I typed in the voting numbers. Sorry, we all make mistakes. Thanks for telling me about it; I fixed it now.

EDIT: The signature disappeared when I took it off in my signature settings. Please tell me if this is only in my screen and I'll edit it. If it's not, then at least it's gone now.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Sunny Sunset likes this.
  9. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Well, I'd give a 1 star rating in an ultra rare situation, which is a combination of these factors:
    1. Poorly designed level, that include those with obstructed views and impaired functionality.
    2. Unsolvable levels by any means, unless they're intended that way(meaning levels which are meant to be solved but are impossible & are not meant as showcases)
    3. Non-challenging + low enjoyment factor(if it is not that enjoyable it should at least be challenging or vice versa, am I right?)

I don't think any of us with upload such a thing don't ya think?

10. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @cpw - I'm with you: "I've never actually given any 1-star rating, but I'd say I'm really not a big fan of precision / luck." I am OK, though, with hidden or difficult to find elements because of "terrible viewing angles," just not a fan when they affect the ability to actually figure out the puzzle and its solution.

cpw likes this.
  11. Sunny Sunset

Levels:
    Albums:
    I don't agree with number 3. It's too subjective. What one person finds challenging, another person finds too easy and vice versa. Ditto the enjoyment factor, that's not measurable.

For example, I'm one of those who likes levels that aren't really that challenging…my preference is for minimalist levels that have only 1 or 2 challenges, and don't take much time. Granted, I have found 3x3s that are totally impossibly challenging… But others found them way too easy. Does that deserve a one star or a five star ...and from whom?

Sorella M. and Astral_Mage like this.
  12. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Sunny Sunset - I agree with you that your list (on 2 July) is fairly comprehensive of many annoying and poor design aspects. Despite the unlikelihood of me ever giving a 1-star rating (as the time for me to explain the rating would not be worth it), I would not outright assign a poor score because of any one of the aspects you mentioned. Rather, I would mention my displeasure alongside anything I did appreciate about the level and award an overall score accordingly.

Excellent and important comments in the remainder of your post. Thank you.

Astral_Mage likes this.
  13. Astral_Mage

Levels:
    Albums:
    Agreed that this condition is pretty subjective, but it is a way I gauge a level, I usually look for a certain balance in entertainment factors which is again pretty relative, but again I won't give a 1-star rating for that reason alone, it has to be combined with either or both conditions 1 & 2 in my list.

that is what I meant in my no.1 condition, allow me to borrow your words good sir :3

nGord likes this.
  14. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    My overall stance on this vote is perfectly aligned with @Frenzies quoted comment. I'm not a fan of #1 (not solvable), #4 (rip-off), and #5 (too easy) the most. And #2 (I can't solve it) and #3 (not my cup of tea) are not reasons for basing a rating on in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Astral_Mage likes this.
  15. Astral_Mage

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ditto, except when it comes to #4 I'd go for the report button rather than down-rating the level, obviously ripping off/duping(plagiarizing) another person's creation shouldn't be tolerated.

nGord likes this.
  16. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Great point! I didn't notice there was a report button. I see it now. Thanks!

Astral_Mage likes this.
  17. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Sunny Sunset - In regards to your post quoted here, I would have to agree with your comment regarding "enjoyment factor" if it is in regards to style of game. If someone finds a level that is of a style that they don't enjoy - they should move on.

In regards to level of difficulty though, in many cases you would be right: that subjectivity should play less of a part, particularly when it has to do with one's ability to complete a level. The same could be said of a level being too difficult. In fact, I disapprove of ratings of levels by those who don't complete them or can't fully comprehend them. My reservation, though, is that the star rating SHOULD be a subjective evaluation - just a holistic one that incorporates a player's OVERALL ENJOYMENT of the level and respect for the design process. This could include game flow, artwork, trickiness, complexity, creativity, storytelling, effort by the author, puzzle factor (for puzzles), agility requirement (for agility levels), etc.

If I find a level too easy, that is my opinion that the designer has made a good effort, but it is lacking in comparison to all the other great levels out there. It then plays a factor in my overall assessment of a level. And it is thus an indication to other players on whether the particular level is worth downloading. And is that not the point of the star rating system?

I would hope that people do, however, explain their rating with a bit more than "nice" or "too easy" and use a more multi-dimensional approach (more than say just "difficulty level"). Unless, of course, there is not much more that could be said about a level either because it is "ridiculously easy" (as listed in the basis of this poll/thread), or if the design was really lacking.

Sorella M. and Astral_Mage like this.
  18. Astral_Mage

Levels:
    Albums:
    On point again, that is what I meant by the balance I mentioned earlier, I salute you for your detailed justifications <3

nGord likes this.
  19. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    I mentioned that I side with Frenzies in the vote. I need to mention that the same goes with @Astral_Mage in his comments:
    - "Agreed that this [difficulty level] condition is pretty subjective, but it is a way I gauge a level"
    - "I usually look for a certain balance in entertainment factors"
    - "I'd give a 1 star rating in an ultra rare situation, which is a combination of.. factors"

More examples of poor factors:
    - "obstructed views [that] impair functionality"
    - "Unsolvable levels by any means, unless they're intended that way"
    - "Non-challenging + low enjoyment factor(if it is not that enjoyable it should at least be challenging or vice versa, am I right?)"

You are right (IMHO)!

Astral_Mage likes this.
  20. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Astral_Mage P.S. I read you well. :) "Balance, impaired functionality, ..." = all good!

Astral_Mage likes this.