1. Psst! We just published some cool documents with tons of tips and secrets about both this forum and Mekorama. Whether you're just visiting, a new member, or have been with us for a while, we're sure you'll find them useful. So far we have Welcome_to_MekoramaForum.pdf, Introduction_to_Mekorama.pdf, and How_to_Share_a_Mekorama_Level.pdf. Find them all in this forum thread:

Everything you have always wanted to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi. This yellow notice is called a system notice. You can click on the tab of each (at the bottom right) to stop and read them. They can also be dismissed by clicking on the 'X' (in the top right corner). From time to time we may refresh them (make them visible again) as a reminder to all the members. And if you ever want to read one that has been dismissed, you can do so via this thread in the Announcements forum. Thank you for respecting them!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Any cards uploaded that read New Level by Unknown Author will be deleted immediately. Tap on those areas of the card to change both the title and the author. Then make sure that the title you give the upload in the forum matches the title on the card.

Site Update

Discussion in 'Archive' started by nGord, Oct 17, 2016.

Are you experiencing any of these potential issues (note that you can update your votes as req'd):

1. No problems for me. All good here. :)

72.2%
  2. Profile posts lagging and/or posting an error message

5.6%
  3. Media (i.e. uploaded card images) showing "Deleted User" under the card image

5.6%
  4. Email no longer accepted ("Attempts to send emails to _____ have failed.")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Excessive banner ads (which may also affect browser history)

22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    [This is an unofficial announcement based simply on my observations. @NeoCHI is the sole authority regarding this website. The moderators and myself are helping him as we can.]

It seems that our forum software has been updated from XenForo v.1.5.4 to v.1.5.10. in the past few hours.

According to the XenForo website: "This release follows our principle that third-point (x.x.X) releases should always be more stable than the preceding version, so for the most part you will not find new features in this release. Major new features will be reserved for second point versions (x.X.x)."

The most visible change is the one to the style template. The base style template seems to have been upgraded from "Flat Awesome" to Flat Awesome +" (https://pixelexit.com).

You will also notice some changes to the media uploading process (and hence why I think that the XenForo Media Gallery plug-in was also updated). [Unfortunately, I can't find the version number anywhere.]

So far we've received (or noticed) other observations of odd website behaviour. In order to centralize these communications, please note them below so that we can collectively share our experiences and determine what may be unique to you (or perhaps just a coincidence) or which should be addressed at a higher level. And rather than have all but one member say "nope, not happening to me" - I've set up a poll that I will add to as new irregularities are found. Therefore, please limit your comments to only observations of odd behaviour or legitimate explanations or solutions to the problems. Debates and/or exploratory conversations can be had in private. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  2. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    One thing I have noticed next to the update: I have more advertissements :mad: Sometimes 4 banners of ads one after another, sometimes a redirection (to Baidu website each time for now) that floods my browser history so that I cannot go back. What can I do against that? I have installed the AdBlock plugin on my computer.

Mekob123 and meko like this.
  3. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    I use Opera for all my Mekorama work/browsing. It has ad-blocking built in. I'm very impressed by it. [It also allows me to work in Google Docs with my Mekorama persona / Gmail account without having to switch back and forth.]

Update: @Gepeto - I added a poll response for you.

Gepeto likes this.
  4. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    One other thing: from a level when I click on the "reply" link on a comment, there is only the taggued user name that is reported, not a quotes of the comment as in the forum section. To me it's new but if not I didn't noticed before.

About the ads, for 4 hours I have installed AdBlock, 170 ads have been blocked and I am only using this Chrome session for the mekorama forum website... :rolleyes:

Mekob123 and trids like this.
  5. Rohan Kumar

Rohan Kumar Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Guys , allow ads on the site, u r killing the ad revenue while being moderators . :p

Mekob123 likes this.
  6. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    That's odd... I haven't been redirected yet. Are you sure that you don't have a virus :eek:? Also, I don't see anything wrong with the ad banners. They aren't exactly intrusive and I usually just ignore them. Also, what do you mean by "4 banners of ads one after another"?

@nGord I tried Opera and it's great so far. I saw it before, but didn't know that it had an ad blocker. Too bad it can't download YouTube videos :rolleyes:. Anyway, I found the "Welcome to our site! Please take a moment and Register today!" banner pretty annoying, as it just stayed at the same spot and blocked parts of my view.

7. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    That would be a problem to me as I am the guy that has been called when a virus shows up in my company :p. Seriously, I have red that flooding ads are a real problem and depends on the sponsorship used to show ads. It doesn't appear everytimes and are really annoying. Maybe it depends too of the country? Then I had 4 banners, one above another at the bottom of page, but sometimes it is just one. I knew I should have taken a screenshot... :(

8. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Well, @NeoCHI shouldn't get those kinds of ads... especially the redirecting one.

9. TR O

TR O Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Yeah, I think it depends on different region. It is still the same amount of ads in mine.

@nGord The site is a bit laggy when it just got updated. It is kind of back to normal now.

nGord likes this.
  10. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    The new color scheme is brighter & it got to me at 1st but its okay now, no problems for me here :3

11. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    The text input (the box into which I'm typing this feedback for example ) behaves differently (worse ) than the previous one .

At first i thought it might be my keyboard (Swiftkey ) , but a few minutes in Google Keep restores my sanity and confirms that the following new quirks are imposed by the new forum input box . . .
    1. Interferes with the way that my keyboard suppresses spaces before punctuation. And worse, it interferes in an inconsistent manner! Sometimes allowing the suppression, sometimes overriding it!
    2. The old /previous forum allowed one to change focus to other browser tabs in order to collect links and other info, in the process of compiling a comment /reply to the forum. This one loses any unposted texts! Note :I'm not talking about browsing away from a tab , but temporarily switching to another tab in the same browser app,and then back again .
    Please, is there any way to restore the previous typing behaviour?
    :(

12. Gepeto

Levels:
    Albums:
    As I'm switching from one tab to another to post this common link (http://mekoramaforum.com/media/) it seems to work for me... o_O
    I use SwiftKey too. Maybe I've missed something?

EDIT: I am using Chrome for mobile. What's yours? Did you try with Firefox? (a previous issue with selecting a user tag didn't worked with Chrome but worked with Firefox)

trids likes this.
  13. chemi

chemi Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I noticed I miss a lot of notifications of updates on levels where I commented so I loose people replies. How does it work? :(

14. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    I tried to ask this myself to @Sunny Sunset in this thread here. The question was not answered in that thread. I will start a new thread tomorrow to explore this issue further. It is not a factor of the site update. Rather it's an issue of the"alert" ranking algorithm that does not work as well as we would like with the XenForo Media Gallery plugin. There may be a secondary issue with the media "watching" toggle as well.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  15. chemi

chemi Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
  16. nGord

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's the new thread on the topic of missing comment alerts. As far as I know, these issues have always been around. Let's discuss them in the new thread. :) (Thanks @chemi.)

If I have missed something or you think that something may be a result of the last site update, please let us know below.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  17. Mekob123

Mekob123 Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Wow, next great announcement! For me all here is good, the site won't need update. But XenForo (Mekorama Forum) haved too some troubles, but maybe infixable. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.