1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Help - Forum Should I add levels to a Category or ...?

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by Metacom3, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Metacom3

Metacom3 New Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Would we have to upload a new level twice?
    One to our own album and then one to the topic it falls under?

2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    If I'm to guess, I think you're asking about the first option upon trying to upload a new level ("Add Level") seen here in this screenshot:
    Add level to.png
    As you've no doubt noticed, you can only upload to a category OR to an album, not both. This is intentional. Adding your level to both would result in two copies of your level being posted to the Levels section. Whenever there is more than one copy of a level posted, players start to get confused. This is the same reason why we only allow one version of a level to be posted at a time. Old versions (that may have had bugs or other problems) need to be deleted. Even in the cases of no issues, only the most recent version should be allowed to be visible so that players know which version to comment on and rate.

The reason that we allow the choice is because we found that with only having personal albums, some members would get confused on the settings to use (even though the defaults were intended). Others also wanted a bit more organization in the forum and to be able to find levels by game type. Unfortunately many members just don't know the difference between Adventure type levels and Logic style games.

The reason for keeping the personal albums was because some creators wanted to keep all their levels organized differently. Some members also wanted to be able to find all levels similar to other levels by that same creator (i.e. beyond that which is possible with the search and sort capabilities of the website).

Finally, it is not possible now to delete Categories as all the levels posted there would be lost too.

So to answer your question, no, do not upload a level twice. Pick first which organizational structure you'd like to use. In the end there is little difference. All "Add Level" uploads end up in the Levels section lumped together (but still able to be filtered separately).

More help on uploading levels can be found in the "How to Share a Mekorama Level" document found here.

Metacom3, cpw and Frenzies like this.
  3. Metacom3

Metacom3 New Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Ok, that clears it up for me. I appreciate your thorough and well explained answer. Thank you so much!!

nGord likes this.