1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Block Combinations Oscillate Slider

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by Xavier Jiang, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Xavier Jiang

Xavier Jiang Member

Levels:
    This problem will only occur on very large builds requiring large mechanisms (or perhaps entire platforms) to slide.
    However, as shown in Slider, the power of a single slider is quite phenomenal. When combined with a draggable it can lift significantly more mass than a slider without a drag block.

However, there is this "looseness" when releasing the drag block on the top end of the slider, since it is actually unable to hold the weight by itself.
    Which calls for multiple sliders. However, it is shown that any structure containing more than 5 sliders will start to oscillate (overcorrect) when being "swiped", as shown in Xtal. This effect amplifies drastically upon the 7th and 8th slider with the entire block glitching out of the world.
    The way the 6 sliders connect do not matter. They can be inline or they can be parallel.
    However, if we remove the draggable, the entire mechanism is able to function correctly, as shown in Bearings. In that build there is 11 slider connected together, without a draggable.

Currently it is also impossible to take a screenshot (at least on the iPad OS version) because what it is actually doing is, as I mentioned, travelling rapidly between one point and the other and thus, only one slider actually exist anywhere on the screen. Thus any screenshot attempts will only capture a still image of the slider at a position rather than the two "shadows" you see.
    This also make "grabbing" it difficult once it actually start oscillating.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  2. Xavier Jiang

Xavier Jiang Member

Levels:
    Levels mentioned above:
    PNG image 10.png
    PNG image 12.png
    PNG image 13.png

3. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    This is an interesting observation. You can combine it with the idea @Denis Nazin posted about in the Fantastic Mekorama thread to get an cool effect:
    Fantastic Oscillation.png

I'll cross-post this over there.

Denis Nazin likes this.
  4. Denis Nazin

Denis Nazin Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Super, super, SUPER !! I really really like it !!! Fantastic.
    I also noticed:
    7 sliders - disappears,
    6 sliders - shaking.
    An ingenious idea to combine with a fantastic effect !!!
    WELL DONE!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MekaSage likes this.
  5. Xavier Jiang

Xavier Jiang Member

Levels:
    As I mentioned above, the "overcorrect" start to get overboard upon the 7th slider. However, if you have a limited travel (e.g. sliders with walls at both ends) you can observe that the slider is really just oscillating at a huge amplitude that is bigger than, say, 200 blocks. This huge amplitude will cause it to miss collision of the ends upon finger release but will snap back to the outsides of those travel limiters.

I currently have not thought about any "interesting" contraptions that utilize this effect.
    So I built this massive complex to test things out. First idea is a shaker plate that can accelerate bots to a speed that cause them to miss the collision of the walls
    PNG image 4.png

Denis Nazin and MekaSage like this.
  6. Xavier Jiang

Xavier Jiang Member

Levels:
    PNG image 8.png
    Involves a poor B bot. Hopefully he don't get squished.

Double roof. However even a quintuple roof will not prevent it from phasing through it. The velocity attained will never be truly realized

Denis Nazin likes this.
  7. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I noticed the oscillation makes a flashing shadow on the roof. It occurred to me you could use that to use that to make a blinking sign. Hello.png

Denis Nazin likes this.
  8. Xavier Jiang

Xavier Jiang Member

Levels:
    interesting.
    This also remind me to test out stuff with water. Sound like a submersible pump, or sometimes like a jet talking off. Well, maybe a bit.
    PNG image 4.png

I literally have to use this map because they have changed the water so it will not work on columns that dont have "natural" tiles (e.g. dirt, stone, grass) in them. This one works well and actually looks half decent

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021