1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Block Combinations One-way descending/ascending of bots

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by Br0K3N, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Br0K3N

Br0K3N Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I decided to make a thread about the block combination I used in my recent level. I am sure someone found this combination way before, but I couldn't find any threads about this combination of blocks, so I decided to create this thread.

Here is the demo of the block combination:
    IMG_20210818_133626_863.jpg
    In order for it to work it is absolutely necessary for the block that touches the rails and the block that B steps on to be half-pillars. I suspect that this combination works thanks to the height difference between usual blocks and half-pillars.

The main feature of this block combination is that it lets B descend one layer down, but B won't be able to ascend back up. However, other bots treat it just like a usual block and don't descend down from it.

To descend down you first need to step on the metal half-pillar. After that you will be able to step on the lower layer, but the higher one will become inacessible. However, if B doesn't stop on the half-pillar, it will treat it like a usual block. You can test this by making B go from one brick block to another.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    mastersifu and MekaSage like this.
  2. Br0K3N

Br0K3N Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I am curious to know if anyone found this block combination before. I would like to start a conversation about this block combination and those that are similar, if they exist. I think it is an interesting feature that opens many possibilities for creating small, but complex logic levels.

3. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Br0K3N - thank you for the explanation. I tried clicking your link to the demo, but Facebook wouldn't let view the link.

Br0K3N likes this.
  4. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    There's a similar behavior when a ball rests on wedge that's one level down from B. B can step onto the ball, then step from the ball to the lower level, but can't go back up.

Br0K3N and mastersifu like this.
  5. mastersifu

mastersifu Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Me too.

The easiest block configurations that I've seen so far which let B descend one block is just one single slider. Tap the slider, B's body will sink into it and then tap the lower ground. In this case, R/L can't descend.

There's one thing that sprang to my mind about ascending - A ball on a zapper or an eye. It's a one-way ascent for R/L. Not really relevant to this thread but I think I'll just share it out.

Br0K3N and MekaSage like this.
  6. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I didn't know that one. That's useful!

So far we have:
    [​IMG]

Br0K3N and mastersifu like this.
  7. mastersifu

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's the ultimate collection of descending move by retrograde
    Descent Demo v3
    Both the metal half pillar descent and ball-on-wedge descent aren't included in it. So they're new discoveries!

MekaSage and Br0K3N like this.
  8. Br0K3N

Br0K3N Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Wow! I didn't know there's that many ways to descend down. It's awesome that there are still more of them to explore.

9. Br0K3N

Br0K3N Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I thnk this thread can be about both descension and ascension of any bots, so thank you for sharing!

10. Br0K3N

Br0K3N Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Great demo! I still didn't figure out how to put images in my comments, so I apologize for the facebook link that doesn't work. I will update the first comment as soon as I figure it out.

11. Br0K3N

Br0K3N Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Changed the title to include both ascending and descending.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  12. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I learned some new techniques from this as well. Thanks for linking to it, @mastersifu .

Br0K3N likes this.
  13. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
  14. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @Denis Nazin recently posted about a one-way descending mechanism using a stair and a wedge on his level Palace Sensor. I then saw a similar one-way step down in @Downy Ji's level Country Road, but this one used a stair and a half column. It made me wonder about other blocks that would work for this technique, so I created the demo below.
    The timing is a little challenging. First, tap on the nearest stair. As B comes to a stop, B will briefly step one foot on the object beyond the stair before becoming steady. Tap on the level below at the same time that B temporarily steps forward.

I'm not sure if this is a known behavior. It may be a special case of the Side Stair Step or the Squat Drop.

UPDATE:
    I think this is actually a special case of the Squat Drop. Rather than the method I originally listed, do the following. Tap on the nearest stair. As B is coming to a stop, B's eye will briefly dip down lower than normal. As B's eye is lowered, tap on the level below.

Let me know what you think.
    Step Downs v2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Labyrenight and Denis Nazin like this.
  15. Denis Nazin

Denis Nazin Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    You asked what I think about it. I think - that you are a great fellow! You are an excellent researcher! This is a cool demo. And I also think that this is an interesting level that needs to be laid out with a description in the general feed of levels. Because it's cool! And at your level, all players can learn to do it. Thanks!

Labyrenight and MekaSage like this.
  16. Labyrenight

Labyrenight Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Actually I often do it when looking for shortcuts. The last time I did it in the Hold to Freeze level, unfortunately @mastersifu didn't allow autopilot, so the shortcut failed :oops:

MekaSage and mastersifu like this.
  17. Labyrenight

Levels:
    Albums:
    @MekaSage what about the rail, eye? or wedge in a different position (upside down for example).

18. mastersifu

Levels:
    Albums:
    It's not I didn't allow autopilots, I just don't so prefer autopilots. Feel free to use it in any levels.

@MekaSage I downloaded the card and tried myself. It's even harder to execute compared to in @Denis Nazin Palace sensor.

Labyrenight likes this.
  19. Labyrenight

Levels:
    Albums:
    right, wedge is easier.

20. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    You can make it work with eyes and rails and upside-down wedges, but some are more difficult than others (see demo below). I found a perpendicular rail the most difficult, which is why I put it on the back side of the demo as an alternate path.

For some of them, like the eye, it's easier to do a move like the alternate Squat Drop that I mentioned here.

For the perpendicular rail, the best method I found is a momentum move I've seen before, but don't know if it has a name. Place B on one of the sets of stairs. Tap the block 2 blocks behind B, then just as B starts to cross the boundary of the block you tapped, tap the stairs again. B will reverse quickly then slightly overstep the stairs, at which point you tap the level below. The timing is challenging.

Here's the updated demo:
    Step Downs v3.png

Labyrenight likes this.