1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Poll In what situation(s), you won't rate a level after you have played/tried it?

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by EL797, Jul 6, 2020.

In what situation(s), you won't rate a level after you have played/tried it?

1. The level is unplayable

25.0%
  2. I haven't won the level yet

41.7%
  3. I have won the level, but it is too unstable

25.0%
  4. I have won the level, but it is too hidden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have won the level, but it is too easy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I have won the level by using a shortcut

8.3%
  7. I have won the level, but I am not sure if I have used the intended way

8.3%
  8. The level is just a demo

8.3%
  9. The level is just a prank

25.0%
  10. Other situations

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. EL797

EL797 Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Please vote. Multiple votes are allowed.

I won't rate a level if it is unplayable or I haven't won it yet.

Please comment below if there are any other situations.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @EL797 - I like your list. For me, I can summarize my approach to ratings as a means of giving feedback to the creator. If they were honest with their upload (a tested and playable level, i.e. not something else like a demo or prank), then I'm inclined to give them an honest rating based on what they had intended.

It's not about my feelings of whether the level was too easy/hard, hidden, or tricky. My rating hopefully gives them feedback on how well they did as a designer based on their audience. Examples:
    • If they were aiming to make kids giggle, then I'll rate them on that;
    • If they were intending on being logically challenging, then I'll rate them on that;
    • If they were intending on being surprising or adventurous, then I'll rate them on that.
    But if they were not honestly submitting a level for play, then a) they should not have posted in the Levels section (IMO), and b) I won't give them a rating.

mothproof and EL797 like this.
  3. mothproof

mothproof Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Nice poll!

Definitely agree with @nGord on his bullet point list.

I have to add too that sometimes I don't rate a first ever level of a newcomer if it's average or poorly done. I just give a feedback so that they'll be encouraged the next time.

Also, if I see a level that mostly got an average 3-star rating, I don't rate anymore, because that will only bring down the level more.

nGord and EL797 like this.
  4. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Interesting question.

I find Mekorama puzzles are a lot like art .. which in many ways expresses the personality of its creator.

So when i choose not to rate a level, it's to avoid the deep offence that I've too often seen people take at receiving low ratings. If i dislike a level for whatever reason, I'd rather just walk away than be drawn into fruitless awkward arguments about the number of stars.

For me, the list above is mostly a list of reasons to actually engage and give constructive feedback. When i dislike a level, it's usually because i find it unnecessarily obscure (eg. the sequence of steps is critical, but there are are too many options to choose from), or because the factor of randomness is too high (eg. when you have to push or throw something with just the right intensity). Sometimes it feels like the designer is taking things too far for my patience to endure. Then I'll just put it behind me and move on. No offence intended, usually none taken.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    nGord and EL797 like this.