1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Help Please How do you place grass blocks without the grass?

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by Tencryn, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Tencryn

Tencryn New Member

Levels:
    I've seen a few levels where the grass blocks do not contain grass. I believe it's a visual glitch but I like the look of it - it's kind of like sand.

How does one achieve this?

2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I'm supposed to have retired from the forum, but I can't resist helping someone who has taken such care in asking a question. Thank you for being articulate and asking your question in the correct sub-forum with an appropriate label to boot.

Sand blocks! We call them that too!

Short answer: use the 3D Builder in @Gepeto's MekoStudio for full control of placing all available blocks found in @Martin Magni's code.

Long answer: yes it can be done as a visual glitch (as you aptly say) as well. We call that glitch/exploit the Desert Effect. The trick is to place water to convert the grass blocks into sand blocks and then take away the water using the glitch. For this to work, the water needs to be placed above the bounds of the level, i.e. turn the water feature on when at least one water-boundary block (brick, grass, stone) is in the highest (16th) plane). Then make any changes you want - including removing any/all blocks from the highest plane - and exit the level. Voilá, the water drops down to just above the white floor and grass blocks remain looking like sand blocks.

Full step-by-step explanation from a document that was never published:

Ginger, Makaroni, Gepeto and 2 others like this.
  3. Tencryn

Tencryn New Member

Levels:
    @nGord I am incredibly impressed that you took the time to write a very detailed reply. Thank you!

I was close in doing the visual glitch myself but the only thing I didn't do was reenter the level.

I will check out MekoStudio!

nGord likes this.