1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Various/Other Hovering, Teleportation, Boogie Bot, Autopilot, etc.

Discussion in 'Game Behaviours' started by D.S.Masters, Jul 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. D.S.Masters

D.S.Masters Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Film

Levels:
    Albums:
    I've been seeing comments about various bugs in the program, including hovering, getting stuck in a hole, and going through a wall, among others, and I know that some designers (such as Sunny Sunset in a recent level) have deliberately incorporated those bugs into their design. But what exactly *are* these bugs, and how are they 'used'? I mean, if B can hover, how? A good description of the bugs, what they do and how they can be used would be appreciated. No, I haven't designed a level yet; I'm still learning how to.

(And as a side note, it's great seeing female designers in the mix - gaming is no longer the boys club that it was 30, 35 years ago... and yeah, I've been designing game levels & episodes for almost 20 years now)

trids and Gunnel like this.
  2. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Well, you can see the hover glitch in richardfu's level, Spirits. Instructions are there (mekoramaforum.com/media/spirits.2074/) . Kim Budi discovered the original hover glitch, but while Spirits uses the hover, the way used to do it is completely different and 100% more convenient.

You can also see his Teleportation/Magician level to see the going-through-walls glitch (mekoramaforum.com/media/teleportation.1705/).

The Chasm (mekoramaforum.com/media/the-chasm.2583/) by richardfu_ (richardfu's alternate account... he reached the 50 MB limit for his levels), also uses a sort of glitch (but retrograde discovered it). When a ball is placed on top an eye, a bot on a block one block high and not only go on top of it, but it will jump after running on it, sort of like it tripped on it and got launched very high from the momentum.

You can also see richardfu_'s (again) level, Ramp Climbing (a recent one: mekoramaforum.com/media/ramp-climbing.2730/) for the new Ramp Climbing glitch, discovered by richardfu_. It contains no instructions (he wants you to discover it yourself), but if you want, I can tell you how to do it. You can also see the level "the Bug of Mekorama" by Andi lr for a really weird bug (mekoramaforum.com/media/spirits.2074/).

"Trapdoor1" (mekoramaforum.com/media/trapdoor1.2802/) by Aleric has what is probably what you called "getting stuck in a hole".

"Failure" by Brd-Bot (mekoramaforum.com/media/failure-by-brd-bot.145/) also has a glitch, the Boogie Bot/inertia glitch, but I don't really know how it works. There're some weird sort-of glitches in Sunny Sunset's My Favorite Bugs 1 and 2 (mekoramaforum.com/media/my-favorite-bugs-2.2043/)

Also see my levels in the album, Frenzies' Original Level (no, this is not an advertisement: mekoramaforum.com/media/albums/frenzies-original-levels.467/). They have unusual mechanisms and stuff that you might consider glitches (and they probably are). Working motorcycles that work on regular movement (tapping), flying and launching yourself once on the ground, etc. I discovered them (that's why they're called original) Leave a comment, too :).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  3. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    There's also @Weders 's series of levels utilizing the same "cornering" bug. It enables one to force B to climb up a higher grid / drop down a hole to a lower level, by rapidly turning around its corner back and forth. ;)

I'd also like to think that my "Stopper" concept can be considered a "bug" too, considering that R-bots aren't supposed to stop turning around against a wall. That makes it possible to send a group of R-bots into an environment and make them automatically stop in front of designated holed walls.

D.S.Masters likes this.
  4. Astral_Mage

Astral_Mage Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I think I have one too, I discovered it while messing with my nephew the other day..

A ghost wagon!!! :eek:

Attached Files:

hadi likes this.
  5. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    Well, it's cool, but it's like a sideways version of the Bug of Mekorama.

6. D.S.Masters

Levels:
    Albums:
    Okay, I tried replying to this before, but #$&$@$# Metrocast cut out...
    Anyway, it looks there are a bunch of levels that I need to check out - thanks for the info.

7. Astral_Mage

Levels:
    Albums:
    I accidentally found a glitch which make grass blocks into plain dirt blocks:

Attached Files:

D.S.Masters likes this.
  8. D.S.Masters

Levels:
    Albums:
    Weird. But it should make for differences in landscape.

Astral_Mage likes this.
  9. Astral_Mage

Levels:
    Albums:
    So I thought, but sadly it reverts back to normal sometimes hence a glitch :cry:

10. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hey @Astral_Mage - I'm sure that I saw your post back on 4 Aug above, but probably paid little attention as I was a new member then. Turns out that @Caken also found the glitch and made a level around it called "Dat Ufo" on 25 May 2016. More recently, @meko created Deserted Curse. @Frenzies remembered your post and made a nod out to you in the comments. After someone in the past two days mentioned that meko had still not shared how he came on the discovery, I set out to figure it out too. After figuring it out, I realized that it would be nice to share it on a card (like you did). Then I thought, why not make a playable level too? Well that kept me up last night! So now I have a level to my name...

Update: @meko has now shared the secret in a spoiler entitled "Desert effect" here.

Astral_Mage likes this.
  11. Astral_Mage

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the detailed report good sir and congratulations on your 1st level :D

nGord likes this.
  12. hadi

hadi Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:

This happens sometimes due to the fall of B. Movement of B is very unstable.:);)

13. Frenzies

Levels:
    Albums:
    You can find a more stable way to activate this "spirit" mode in richardfu's Spirits.

Mario, Gepeto, nGord and 1 other person like this.