1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Level Management Hide QR code until card is solved by its creator

Discussion in 'Mekorama 2.0' started by cpw, Jul 5, 2016.

1. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Just wanna put those unsolvable cards to an end and make sure all the uploaded ones are solvable so that no one would be complaining anymore ;)

It may not be the perfect solution as some of our devices might not work with certain design elements (which means there's no way to test them all before uploading), but I just hope that we could at least alleviate this issue by eliminating the root cause. Also this would mean no more bug report cards so I'm not sure if the pros would outweigh the cons. Anyone?

jvalberca likes this.
  2. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I understand your frustration, but I would be more frustrated at unnecessary restrictions. If I see that someone has uploaded a card that doesn't have a "solved" certificate, then I automatically suspect it as unsolvable and would favour those with certificates. I'm not convinced of any need to impose restrictions. Especially since there are calls to be able to upload unfinished levels - which would be impossible if this rule were in place. The current approach also allows for uploading cropped areas of a level (or any other image for that matter), in order to illustrate a particular point; and this would similarly be impossible with a certificate rule -- or it would become a loophole that would defeat the rule.

My vote is to keep personal choices open, not to take them away. Also, what some people call "bugs" are actually "exploits" -- and posting minimalist levels to illustrate them does not lessen or criticise the app, instead it provides interested users with further elements to use in their own puzzles.

cpw likes this.
  3. FabianS

FabianS Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I'd rather have it the opposite - only posting true cards from Mekorama's export. I find that many of the "stamped" cards generate QR code error (bad screenshot resolution?) and avoid those cards unless they come from an established creator.

On a related note;
    The frequent calls for "prove it is solvable by uploading stamped card" are IMHO mostly annoying since they are based on a premise that the player has the right on her/his hand. Remember that creators are putting much more energy into the game than players. I haven't finished all levels I uploaded (but I made sure that they are finishable by playing through all parts of the levels by placing B in various locations as I build).

Personally I build levels for the challenge of building them, not for the enjoyment of others. If however others enjoy them that's a big bonus.

Unless/until people charge for their bonus levels, demanding playable levels is not fair. Any serious creator will however make sure their levels are playable or mark them clearly as unfinishable.

cpw likes this.
  4. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I had this problem too, at first. Now i just zoom in a bit on the QR code before taking a screenshot. No more problems.

5. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    True that some of those codes can be quirky to scan. Then again, one could always claim a card as unsolvable even if it's stamped, so it might not make any big difference after all :confused:

richardfu likes this.
  6. jvalberca

jvalberca Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    +1

7. richardfu

richardfu Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    You are right. Perfect example here: http://mekoramaforum.com/media/17-target-range.1594/

cpw likes this.