1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Hey all y'all from NC...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Black1226, Sep 2, 2017.

Can I copy a finished level as a draft to tear down some and save under another name?

1. Sure, here's how

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Are you crazy?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Too close to copying someone else's work!

100.0%
  1. Black1226

Black1226 Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I've been online for several days, so it's about time I said hello. I go by Black1226, last name + birthday. I'll answer to most anything, but call me Amy if you're feeling informal. I've been playing Meko for about a month, loved it, and began scanning levels. One thing followed the other, and I tried my hand at creating them. I have 3 to post, and appreciate any critique I can get. It's great to be a part of something you love, and I hope you'll welcome me into your world!

2. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hi Amy @Black1226 Welcome to the forum. It seems I'm a little bit late to welcome you but better late than never ;)
    Feel free to scan, play, share, post, whatever... Some levels can be seems tricky, some other not but after the 50 original levels there's a lot of things that can still be possible to discover about the game. I hope you'll enjoy, and if you end up with a fine level (I mean playable and solvable, not only a demo) do not hesitate to upload it on the Level section. :thumbsup:

Some players also join together on an online chat plateform called Discord. If you wanna meet some active members that's the most convenient way to do it (depending on hours and jet lags... :rolleyes:). Here is an invitation: https://discord.gg/htgcJnx

See ya!

3. Black1226

Black1226 Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thanks Gepeto! I'm hoping that th levels I've already shared weren't demos - but they were way too easy. I'm posting one this evening that's harder, but I still have a long way to go! Anyhow, I'm having a great time using the level creator. I'll check out discord, and again, thanks for the welcome! BTW, if you happen to see my new level, I'd appreciate any constructive criticism!

Best,
    Amy

nGord likes this.
  4. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Welcome Amy! I should get around to answering your poll. Unfortunately plagiarism can be a difficult thing to assess (as is true in most art). Thus I had to go with the last option. By all means take apart other people's levels to gain understanding and inspiration. Some things like mechanisms and tricks would need to be copied just due to the limitations of the physics engine. Sections of art and game design (sequence of play) should probably not be copied. That being said, taking the look of a little house, tree, or other accent piece would likely be accepted especially if a nod to the source is made in a comment or description. The smaller something you find that you like is, the harder it is to make different.

pArAPPA dA zAPPER and Black1226 like this.
  5. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Let me share an example of what I personally think is a good example and bad example of taking inspiration from another level. It just so happens that both examples in this case are inspired by @Martin Magni's original level: #22, Head Above Water.

A good example of taking inspiration is Head Below Water, by @Anti. It borrows most of the art and even the title specifically as a play on the original level with a specific and unique twist.

A poor example (IMHO) is Let's Go Home, by Mekorama World. I believe that although much was added in this level, a large part of the actual gameplay (and that of any challenge) is the core exact duplication of Head Above Water.

Other more blatant duplicates have already been removed from the database.

Please don't be dismayed however. In fact, many creators started out by creating levels based around common level types. Examples include multi-level mazes, code or combination locks, big castles, racing zapper bots, no rush/traffic/unblock sliding puzzles, R-only levels, basketball/golf/pinball games, etc. There are also a ton of "remakes" based on specific original levels including even a community challenge to recreate level 1, Crash Course.

Thanks for asking! And good luck/inspiration!