1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

General Help General Help Requested

Discussion in 'Level Play Help' started by dools107, Nov 22, 2016.

1. dools107

dools107 Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I'm a prosecutor currently disabled with Parkinson's. When I found the original Mekorama, I was overjoyed because it kept my attention and was just a lot of fun.

I'm not very adept with computers and really don't know how to navigate my way around this site, so I was wondering if anyone could assist me by directing me to a page or document that summarizes the "tricks" required to solve some of the new puzzles...those may be what you folks refer to as "bugs."

Right now I open some new puzzles and frankly have no idea how to even get from Point A to Point B using the limited skill set I acquired playing the original games. Frankly, when it comes to "flying" or using balls to get from one place to another (other than walking over a single ball), I'm completely lost. I suspect there are a whole set of skills I know nothing about and would be overjoyed if I could learn about them, as all I'm able to do is stare at many of the new puzzles, frustrated I haven't a clue how to solve them.

I realize Mekorama is a welcome diversion for everyone, but when I found it I considered it a Godsend, as it made my days go by much more quickly. With that said, I'd be forever indebted to anyone who might offer some assistance! Perhaps the skills I'm referring to can't be explained in a manner I'd be able to understand... In that case could anyone suggest any other games similar to Mekorama?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration... Everyone have a wonderful holiday!

sawdust likes this.
  2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hi @dools107, I would be happy to help you. Would you have any level in particular that you would like some help with?

Here are some other suggestions to get you started:
    - At this link you'll find some documents written especially for those wanting a hand;

- In the first document, Welcome_to_MekoramaForum.pdf, you'll find the following FAQ:

"Q. I’m having trouble with some of these new levels, are there any tutorials?
    A. But of course! Our member @trids has started a thread here and it points to his tutorial album here. There are many other tutorials and resources throughout the site."

- At this link you'll find @richardfu 's Season 1 album with some increasingly challenging levels set in a uncannily intuitive way. Just go to the last page and start with the earliest levels working forward. After that you can go to his Season 2 album here.

- If you want, you can also send me a private message (PM) and I can share a link to the Advanced Level Design document that is in draft form right now, but it does explain many of the odd behaviours discovered and how they have been exploited thus far. A lot of them revolve around the autopilot behaviour - that is rather fun to play with - all the way to inertia-based exploits - that most people try to stay away from.

Since there is just too much to talk about right away, the best is if you start in the order above. Good luck!

sawdust, cpw, Frenzies and 2 others like this.
  3. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Hi @dools107!
    I think @nGord told you everything you need to start with tricks and other fine stuff.

It is true that with time members have found new and unexpected ways to play Mekorama. We often forget how far we've come along. :)

Many levels which have been found to be innovative have a great chance to be ranked in the Levels Statistics Thread (despite some could be difficult). So maybe you can slowly find your feet among them. You can read the comments made on levels too as most of the time they have helpful spoilers.

Good days!

sawdust likes this.
  4. sawdust

sawdust Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    I would also like to point out that @meko 's levels usually stick pretty close to the spirit of the original 50. There are some exceptions that use some tricks, but usually he just makes some great puzzles.

meko and Gepeto like this.
  5. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    So do yours. :) I personally love your levels; they really give my brain a workout. You and @meko are actually pretty similar; you guys usually make levels with no tricks, and have a lot of compact levels. @meko just tends to use Zappers more often (I think), and you both still have a unique, signature style in building.

nGord and meko like this.
  6. sawdust

sawdust Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Haha I don't use zappers often, but when I do, I go all out. (See my latest level lol)

7. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I know :confused:. I still haven't solved that one. Additionally, you also use R-Bots more often.

8. meko

meko Italian Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Zaps? I don't love them. I try to don't use them,but an hidden zap(only one) sometimes gives a little and ununspected surprise. But only 1-2 zaps in a level aren't bad,
    and I prefere a pure puzzle.

cpw and sawdust like this.
  9. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    My levels (except the really early ones :oops:) are probably mostly based on tricks, but I also agree with you guys about zappers. Most of the time I use them only as a quick fix to shortcuts, and even when I do use them extensively (I think only in The Unconscious :rolleyes:) I try to not make them overly demanding in terms of timing so that it would still be doable for the average players. In the case of zapper bots (especially the Catch Me If You Can series) I don't make them follow B so closely that he would always have to keep running -- I try to put the focus on puzzle rather than precision. ;)

But I'll also happily admit that @richardfu_ 's zapper levels are really enjoyable and refreshing. :D