1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

General Discussion Amended cards

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by MekoMole, Oct 4, 2021.

1. MekoMole

MekoMole Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I have just had a new level unilaterally deleted by moderator @cimarronline for use of an amended card while I was in the midst of writing my comments. I am absolutely furious and will not now be uploading the card. Whether I continue to upload levels I will decide when I calm down.
    There are two issues here I think:-
    a) The fitness for purpose of the present card system and the validity of years old etiquette on the subject.
    b) Abuse of power by a moderator.

2. cimarronline

cimarronline Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Sorry to hear you are upset. As I explained to you, your card was removed because the card image was photo-edited (and I provided you with a new card with an optimized QR code to post instead). Edited cards have been explicitly prohibited in the forum for a long time, as outlined in the "Welcome to Mekorama Forum" document (page 3). A link to that document is provided to all new members and is highlighted on the front page of the forum. The welcome message also lists only exported cards or screenshots as acceptable.

I haven't been enforcing this rule strictly because almost no one has been uploading edited cards. But now that more people are, I thought I should stop it before it gets worse. There was a problem a while back in the forum with people putting all kinds of decorations on the cards. Besides that, it doesn't help others if they can't see the level picture, or the code is enlarged improperly producing a fuzzy image, etc.

If you're concerned about a small code being unreadable, the "approved" way to enlarge it with Mekostudio Customizer is explained in the FAQ. If anyone has difficulties using this, just let me know.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Adiorama and Labyrenight like this.
  3. Labyrenight

Labyrenight Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Since this is a discussion, I will share my opinion.

Basically I'm not going to open the screenshot card (though that's allowed). The reason is that cards are often unscanned. So I have to crop the QR code.

Sometimes exported card can't be opened, but we have a solution, mekostudio. And I think card optimization is aimed at authors, not players.

For edited cards. If it's a QR code zoomed in to fill the card preview, that's not good in my opinion. And if it changes preview of the building design, maybe player will be a little disappointed because it doesn't match expectations when opening the card.

4. MekaSage

MekaSage Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Just to put in a good word for @cimarronline -- moderating a public forum can be a time-consuming and thankless job. I joined the forum right around the time the previous admins had to step down due to time constraints. I suspect if @cimarronline hadn't volunteered to be an admin the quality of Mekorama Forum would have gone downhill. @cimarronline has done lots of work to help educate newcomers and make them feel welcome, and is a virtual walking encyclopedia of Mekorama history.

@MekoMole -- you have created some really interesting levels and I hope you decide to continue posting them here.

cimarronline likes this.
  5. MekoMole

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thank you aptly named @MekaSage for pouring oil on troubled waters. I accept your words of wisdom regarding the often thankless task of moderating a forum. I will not comment further on this aspect of my post which I now accept should have had both issues treated separately.

MekaSage likes this.
  6. MekoMole

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thank you for your response. I have used Mekorama Studio but have had problems with corruption of larger levels. I accept your comment on altering the preview, I have had a member comment on being disappointed, and have taken the lesson to heart. That said, for complex levels which expand the matrix the generated preview is sometimes misleading. Also, in my opinion, the present card layout does not allow sufficient priority to complex QR codes. As you have said this is a discussion. Unfortunately I have muddied the waters by criticism of the moderator.