1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Let's Discuss Which way is north? A discussion on directions in the game.

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by nGord, Dec 11, 2016.

1. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    In the game it is often handy to be able to talk of directions using north, east, south, west (N, E, S, W). It would seem intuitive that down and towards the user would be S, but this only works if free camera is on and we all have a common reference point.

Since all levels open up with the same orientation as first created in the Level Editor, we should be able to easily take that view for reference, except that it is off by 45 degrees. When others have used the four main compass directions, I have sometimes been confused.

Would it be possible for us to agree on one set of terminology for the directions? Could we call the bottom-left of the opening scene of every level as say south (S)? The bottom-left is also the direction most of the bricks/bots in the Level Editor menu are facing. If needed, I can easily append a poll to this thread. Any and all comments welcome.

2. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Personally, I think of directions in mekorama as being northeast, northwest, southeast and southwest. The land of mekorama is a diamond-shaped country. That way, I don't have to remember which 45 degree angle gets called "south" upon opening a level.

That also means the quadrants are the four 8x8 squares in the north, south, east and west.

Once someone is playing through a level, normally they start talking about landmarks as opposed to ordinal directions, from what I've seen. If describing a solution in a spoiler, for example, it's easier to reference what's in view instead of attempting to remember which direction is which, especially since often one is long past the point of having just opened a level, and suffering from the lack of an in-game compass.

I'm not saying that one shouldn't try something new, and it might be that adopting such a descriptor set might catch on. I do think, however, that it is extremely non-intuitive to try to remember from which direction the sun rose in each individual country/level in the mekorama world, especially in those countries where one hasn't really stayed long enough to memorize such things in the way someone would remember that the sun rose in the direction of, say, that pile of bricks, or that little pond with a zapper robot blocking the front gate. Since there's no sun in the first place, that robs even that element from such a usage.

Astral_Mage, Frenzies and nGord like this.
  3. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Personnally for all developements I have made, I have adopted the view proposed by @QuantumForce in the QR Code thread. Here is a picture:
    [​IMG]
    But it's only a matter of representation.

4. sawdust

sawdust Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    That's exactly the way I picture it. I have a hard time assigning North to any direction other than the upper right of the opening shot, especially any direction not square to the grid.

Gepeto and Chuckthulhu like this.
  5. Chuckthulhu

Chuckthulhu Spanish Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Yes, me too. I had not thought about N, E, S or W before, but immediately after it was mentioned that's the way I pictured it. I think one reason is that most items are "facing South" when opening the editor mode so when talking about directions I immediately associate it with the robot's left, right, front and back.

Makaroni, Gepeto and Frenzies like this.