1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Help - Forum "Spoilers"

Discussion in 'General (Issues, Help, Discussions)' started by ZachMan, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ZachMan

ZachMan New Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I saw a bit of a discussion on when to use spoilers and thought we might benefit from posting general guidelines on it. I only have 2 bits of input on that.
    1. Use a spoiler when what you are saying will make the level easier to solve.
    2. Use one when referring to the solution of another level.
    Also, just for point of education, you make a section of text a spoiler by enclosing it in between {SPOILER} and {/SPOILER} where the {s are replaced by the square brackets [ or ].

2. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thanks for starting this thread. Yes, I agree that a spoiler should be used to hide any text (or image) that could be at all helpful in solving the current level (or another one). Hugely encouraged!!!

It can also be helpful sometimes to add a title to the spoiler to indicate whether the spoiler is a solution, just a hint, or comments that talk about parts of the level, etc.

Another use case for a spoiler is to hide large images - as they can be embedded within and thus not take up a lot of screen space.

Finally, I'd like to also mention that a spoiler can also be created using the formating menu of the rich text editor. The rich text editor is turned on by default in a member's preference settings. To create a spoiler using the menu, simply click on the '+' symbol and chose "Spoiler" from the pull-down menu. This will pop up a dialog box asking for the title of the spoiler followed by adding the bracketed code (as you identified) to the cursor location. If you highlight some text first, that text will be placed between the bracketed code.

If anyone has any questions or other suggestions, please continue this thread. I am a huge supporter of the use of the spoiler code. Thanks!

3. PerryEk

PerryEk Member

Levels:
    Albums:
  4. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @PerryEk - Further to the above, you may want to take a quick read of the Welcome to MekoramaForum document in this thread.

5. Pratap Singh

Pratap Singh New Member

Levels:
    Sorry....But what is the spoiler?

6. Frenzies

Frenzies Administrator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Basically, it’s a tab used to hide spoilers, as well as other things like images or large walls of text for organization. To use it, type in this code:
    Code:
    [SPOILER=(TITLE)](SPOILER)[/SPOILER]
    , replacing the words in between the parentheses with whatever you want. It comes out like this:
    (SPOILER)
    For more information, you can take a look at the thread @nGord linked above.

Azka Fauzan Firdaus and nGord like this.
  7. Wysteria At Heart

Wysteria At Heart Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Thank you so much for posting that! I came into the forum just hoping to find how to do that! :) :thumbsup: