1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Solid... or not so solid?!!!

Discussion in 'Level Creation Help' started by explorer, Nov 11, 2016.

1. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Here's an interesting behavior that I haven't seen documented yet.

image.jpg

The left loop will stop at the pillar, but the right loop will pass through it.

I ran across the behavior when I was working on a variation of mekorama level 32, The Cube.

After discovering this, I started charting out flexible 3D cube mazes using graph paper, but it's been an ongoing personal challenge for months.

I finally decided to make a (relatively) easy level using the same idea called strange twist.

Here's what's happening, for those who have at least solved the level and want the mechanics of the example posted just above.

The base of the right loop's pillar contains a draggable block, which allows the the two (theoretically) movable structure to ignore the boundaries of each attached and movable section. The left loop only has a draggable block as part of the loop, so the boundaries of the pillar are set.

I suspect that mekorama moving/movable assemblies calculate their boundaries on whether they either have firm attachment points, or have paths which cross. That would explain why the sliders in invisibl walls are able to pass through the boundaries of perpendicular sliders' rails.

2. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    One more observation: The behavior only affects two movables which are adjacent in the larger movable object. In this next example, all three sections are theoretically movable, but the two swinging arms cannot pass through each other, only through components of the central section which is adjacent to each of the arms.

image.jpg

3. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    @explorer It's actually an exploit that has been discovered before by @Caken here. @meko further explored it in his level "Passing Through" and @richardfu_ made use of it in his "Glyph Walk". Lately I also used it in "The Unconscious" ;)

explorer likes this.
  4. explorer

explorer Active Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    @cpw - That's what happens when you get someone like me posting uncontrollably about a new toy. *laugh*

cpw likes this.
  5. cpw

cpw Retired Moderator

Levels:
    Albums:
    Keep it up! You've got some great discoveries for sure :D

nGord likes this.