1. Announcing Mekorama on the Web!

Now anyone can play levels from the forum online, with one click!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Psst! If you're new here, welcome! Please visit these pages first for information about the forum and Mekorama:

Welcome! ¡Bienvenido! Selamat datang! Добро пожаловать! Willkommen!
    and
    Everything you want to know about Mekorama

Dismiss Notice

Software tools / advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by nGord, Oct 21, 2016.

1. nGord

nGord Standby Administrator, Retired Moderator Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    So I thought I'd start a thread to share any recommendations of software (apps, plug-ins, etc.) to use. This could be for help in Mekorama stuff or anything else!

I'll start us off. I've been re-united with Opera, a browser alternative. It's been around for a very long time and somehow it has survived against Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and whatever Microsoft puts into their OS's. Since I keep several Google accounts for various activities, it's nice to keep one account per browser (and not have to logout/login all the time). The nicest thing about Opera is that it has ad blocking built right in. I wish tab management was better. But the best part I think is their recent addition to private browsing - it has a built-in free VPN! @Mike_CN (and anyone else having web access issues) should have a look. :)

trids and Gepeto like this.
  2. Mike_CN

Mike_CN Well-Known Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I entirely approve of your considerate ideas.Thank you.

nGord likes this.
  3. Gepeto

Gepeto MekoStudio Architect Staff Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    I have never used Opera but it's good to know. I use Chrome now as I can sync my bookmarks through all of my devices. And as I have got an Android mobile phone... :rolleyes:
    If I wanna use a VPN, well... I build it on my own so it is not a problem to my. But I wonder where goes the Opera VPN gateway. That's a cool feature but as VPN is a really sensitive one I really wanna see this detail on the Opera website (at least how does it work). Yes I know, I'm kind of suspiscious ;)

The really great service I use for Mekorama is imgur.com. Everytime I need to post an image on the forum or comments, I use it (from their app on my phone). Eventually it helps to pass images from my mobile phone to my computer.

If I need to take a screenshot on Windows I use FSCapture (I miss it when I am on GNU/Linux...). I know that there is some other cool softwares such like that but this one seems to me really great from screenshot to screencast. It is not free but the price is honnest when you know that this is a lifetime license whatever the future versions which come out. I love it.

Sometimes I use Gimp for images editing but not very often.

No other ideas for now about what I use for the Mekorama website :)

4. trids

trids Famous Member

Levels:
    Albums:
    Gaah! I just lost my entire reply to this thread! I was collecting links to support my recommendations, and when i got back here, the editor had lost my reply. I never had this problem previously (with the earlier version of the forum software).
    :(
    Sorry folks , I'll try again when i have some time